Solnhofen or Holzmaden???

Nanosaurus

Hi All,

So I am lucky enough to have a day in Germany at the end of this next week. I will be in Zurich but am going to take a day to visit either Solnhofen or Holzmaden to collect fossils. For those who have been to those places, do you have any suggestions on which to choose? I plan to go to the commercial quarries open there associated with the museums. I wish I had time to visit both but that is not an option. Any suggestions? I would love to find some Jurassic marine fossils at one of these spots. Thanks for the help!

My own experience has shown that finding good fossils in Solnhofen other than the typical Saccocoma crinoids usually takes at least a good few days of digging and even then there's no guarantee. Unless of course you get lucky on the first day. Therefore I would recommend visiting one of the commercial pits in Holzmaden, where you'll be pretty well guaranteed to at least find some nice ammonites, belemnites and maybe even a marine reptile tooth. Good luck!

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I was able to organise a visit to Holzmaden a few years back ,and I recommend it !Plus the Museum seems very nice, but fate would not allow us to pay a visit