SE Texas - Mammoth pelvis and tusk?

johnnyvaldez7.jv

Here in SE Texas the heat index was 117 degrees today. Pretty hot. But the river level is low and I had to get out there. Glad I did. So I found this huge pelvis today that I think is from a Columbian mammoth and not a mastodon. It's 23 inches in length. Only the utmost tip... perhaps only 2 inches was sticking out of the sand and that was it. I thought it was wood at first and when I couldn't move it I knew it was something else. It was buried almost straight down. It broke in a section when I was digging it out... but I'll get that fixed. It's a really nice piece. One of my better I think. 

Now then... this other piece:

Everything about it makes me think tusk. But I don't see the Schreger lines. Perhaps they are worn?? Its hollowed on one end going towards a point in the center. Unusual. The other end has clear rings. Maybe it's wood,  but I have found fossil wood and it's not like this. Could this be a tusk piece or is it just wood?

I found about 50 other pieces today. Some good stuff coming. 

20240527_223507.jpg

20240527_221947.jpg

20240527_221854.jpg

20240527_221901.jpg

20240527_221956.jpg

20240527_222000.jpg

20240527_222012.jpg

20240527_221939.jpg

20240527_221931.jpg

20240527_221810.jpg

20240527_222229.jpg

20240527_222257.jpg

20240527_222204.jpg

20240527_222208.jpg

20240527_222212.jpg

20240527_222157.jpg

20240527_222232.jpg

20240527_222215.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 8

Posted (edited)

Outstanding Johnny!  That chunk of pelvis has not traveled far. Probably more of the beast close by. 
I think I see possible Schreger lines in a couple of areas on your “maybe” tusk piece, but I also see ring and cell structure like wood. Have to see what others say

Edited by garyc
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

@garyc Thank you Gary. I wasn't going to that gravel bar where I found both of these pieces.  It was really hot and I had already spent too much time on the one I was at and a few before. But I had to take advantage of the river level drop... and it paid off. I didn't spent too much time looking around for more... these were trip makers for me. Besides I was afraid my kayak wasn't gonna be able to handle the weight with my other finds. Back to work tomorrow but when I can I'll head back out to that spot. Here's the back view of this.

Also... I didn't even consider that this probably hadn't traveled far.  There isn't much wear at all. Kinda like the unciform I found recently. Thanks for mentioning it. 

20240527_225002.jpg

20240527_224952.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Posted (edited)

Very nice!

For the tusk / wood piece, as a possible explanation for it being hollow: the organ that creates the enamel - the pulp - is soft tissue. Yours could be where the pulp ends, see image I got online (Heckel, Claire. (2009). Mitteilungen der Gesellschaft für Physical Characteristics of Mammoth Ivory and their Implications for Ivory Work in the Upper Paleolithic. Mitteilungen der Gesellschaft für Urgeschichte. 18. ). I think it's tusk.image.thumb.png.972a656230008f1d5d359efc1871324c.png

Edited by Ivaldir
  • I found this Informative 4
  • Thank You 1

Superb finds. Congratulations on those both are lovely objects..

• Thank You 1

@Ivaldir Thank you! That explains what I'm seeing perfectly.  Great diagram. 

Sick day, you got twins. You’re tired. You need a  break. The mammoth needs you… 

I can keep going if you need more excuses but you gotta go find that thing!!

Jp

• I Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Balance said:

Sick day, you got twins. You’re tired. You need a  break. The mammoth needs you… 

I can keep going if you need more excuses but you gotta go find that thing!!

Jp

:D I’m in the same train of thought as balance

Edited by Jaybot
  • Enjoyed 1

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Posted (edited)

@Balance @Jaybot That's pretty funny. I thought about doing that too. But today is my Monday and works piling up. But it's on my mind and I'm watching the river level. 7.5 feet is perfect for my spot. Yesterday was 7.42 when I went out. This morning is 7.28! It just keeps getting lower. Gravel/ sand bars are being exposed in the middle of the river.   But I did cough once this morning so I think there's 100% chance of development into something for tomorrow.  

Edited by johnnyvaldez7.jv
  • Enjoyed 3

This is what I'm seeing with the hollowed out portion going in towards a center point... If it's wood... that would be pretty neat that it fits this diagram perfectly.  I need to try and get a cleaner view or perhaps a better cut to see the Schreger lines if they are there. 

Screenshot_20240528_075112_Chrome.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Jumping Josephat Johnny!! :default_faint:Looks like Christmas is coming early for you this year.

• Enjoyed 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Ivaldir said:

Very nice!

For the tusk / wood piece, as a possible explanation for it being hollow: the organ that creates the enamel - the pulp - is soft tissue. Yours could be where the pulp ends, see image I got online (Heckel, Claire. (2009). Mitteilungen der Gesellschaft für Physical Characteristics of Mammoth Ivory and their Implications for Ivory Work in the Upper Paleolithic. Mitteilungen der Gesellschaft für Urgeschichte. 18. ). I think it's tusk.

The one thing that I can add is that the water worn tusk pieces that I've seen look much like yours. Often the schereger lines are hard to see when the piece has some wear.

Nice piece!

Edited by fossilus
  • Thank You 1