Megistaspis specimen (Russian trilobite)

Hi everyone. I have been wanting to pull the trigger on a Megistaspidella Triangularis specimen that I saw a few days ago. I am just concerned that the seller doesn’t have many reviews and it is shipped from very far away (to the US). It looks fine to me but it also looks almost too good? I compared it to other megistaspidella specimens for sale and this one looks too detailed. Does it look real to you? Is the preparation good?

Thank you

IMG_0968.jpeg

IMG_0967.png

IMG_0966.jpeg

IMG_0969.jpeg

I'm an old hand at Russian trilobites, and I would say this one looks very good, even down to the specific mineral staining of the shell. One of the genal spines appears to have been broken, prepared separately, and reattached, which is a fairly common practice. As it is semi-prone, it should not attract as high a premium as a fully prone specimen. All that said, almost all Russian trilobites have some restoration. Most of the preparators there are quite good and tasteful in how they do it. You can always inquire from the seller how much restoration (usually expressed as a percentage) and where. Otherwise, it is a very nice piece. :) 

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

9 minutes ago, Kane said:

I'm an old hand at Russian trilobites, and I would say this one looks very good, even down to the specific mineral staining of the shell. One of the genal spines appears to have been broken, prepared separately, and reattached, which is a fairly common practice. As it is semi-prone, it should not attract as high a premium as a fully prone specimen. All that said, almost all Russian trilobites have some restoration. Most of the preparators there are quite good and tasteful in how they do it. You can always inquire from the seller how much restoration (usually expressed as a percentage) and where. Otherwise, it is a very nice piece. :) 

Thank you so much for the insight, such a detailed comment. I really appreciate it. I have seen some pictures from your collection and your Russian trilos are amazing. I have one question but please if it is against the rules just let me know. I am not intending to disclose how much I this piece cost, but is there some range of what a “premium” prone specimen would cost? Just want to make sure I’m not overpaying. If it’s not possible we can all forget about it :)

thank you!

Although it is not permitted here on the open boards, I will send you a PM very shortly! :) 

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• New Members
8 hours ago, Kane said:

Really experienced and wise comments, love it

• Thank You 1