Another Glorious Haul

Technologicaldreamer

Another trip,another haul of some huge Exogyra Ponderosa! This time i went back to my first site and found several more of these. Only one of them had some pieces of possible coral on it like my other one i found. These shells are much bigger than my earlier finds,that and along with finding some possible clams which im still trying to identfy with my book. Otherwise today was a great day!

"Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday" - Dale Carnegie

Tracer is a big fan of those big ole' E. ponderosas (seems they're the only fossils his son lets him keep :P ).

I'll bet there are a number of encrusting organisms to look for on those shells.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

well only one of them had it and not very much of it. Still trying to figure out what coral it came of from. I know Ponderosa are from the Cretaceous. I just need to see what coral was around that time and maybe i can identify it.

Techno

The epifaunal growth is probably an encrusting bryozoan - not sure of genus.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

cool ill look it up more to see.

Pictures please, if you would be so kind :pic: :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

201007132212441.jpg

E.ponderosa

201007132212301.jpg

E.Ponderosa

201007132212141.jpg

Big Clam?? lol

201007132211531.jpg

same clam but the inside

201007132211441.jpg

another big clam

201007132211281.jpg

E.Ponderosa

201007132212541.jpg

E.ponderosa???

Looks like you had fun. You did good. ^_^

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I did have fun!! till the guys in the white van showed up then it just turned creepy.. :( all they did was park at the end of the street and they must have been watching me the entire time. i didnt get the company logo on the side. They never even got out of the car.....weirdos :wacko:

T,

Can't really say for sure on your top photo and the second from the bottom, but they look more like E. erraticostata. The next one appears to be E. costata. Your big clam may be a Pycnodonte species. The bottom photo is the smaller valve shell of one of the top two Exogyras. If you look close enough at them, they can be a small universe of other fossils.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I did have fun!! till the guys in the white van showed up then it just turned creepy.. :( all they did was park at the end of the street and they must have been watching me the entire time. i didnt get the company logo on the side. They never even got out of the car.....weirdos :wacko:

I'm sorry some creeps ruined your hunt. It was good that you noticed there arrival, you never know what kinda sickos and creeps you might run into fossil hunting. Never go anywhere secluded by yourself and always be aware of your surroundings. Always have an exit strategy. Try to find a hunting buddy and if you do go out by yourself always let someone know where you going and you will call them when you leave. That way if god forbid something does happen people know where to start looking for you.

Edited by barefootgirl

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I always let someone know where im at just in case. Its the only way im allowed to go out hunting :rolleyes:

I never tell people where I'm going, don't want to let my secrets out. Wait....should I not do that? :D

Take it easy, but take it

I never tell people where I'm going, don't want to let my secrets out. Wait....should I not do that? :D

tell someone where you're going. and take a cellphone with gps or something that can help someone locate you if necessary. many people have lain suffering for long periods of time who didn't have to.

Your smooth oysters are Pycnodonte mutabilis, a prominent form in the Corsicana Formation (68 MYA). As for the other oysters, I've seen Exogyra costata and E. cancellata documented in the Kco, and yours look like the former, the crenulations of the latter being more ribbon like.

Grüße,

gotta love those oysters. but everyone is right about the hunting buddy. weird people aren't always going to be the problem. many times my dad and i have had issues that were resolved much more easily because we were together. i won't mention the time he flipped backwards over a boulder. or slipped down a bank full of crinoids and lost his wedding ring and watch. or when he was ripped to the ground in the north sulphur which wasn't hilarious at all. or when he...

Crinoid needle bearings underfoot....Bridgeport? Those suckers do tend to reduce traction in true "Scooby Do banana peel" style.....

Grüße,

• 1 year later...

Hi Technologicaldreamer

I talked to you at your place of work today. The woman that talks with you about fossils. Tonight we found a hotbed of E. ponderosa. PM me, we've got some digging to do. I tried to PM you but the msg ened up on my info page w/my phone number. Not PM! :blink: So msg me. I left a msg at your work with my phone #. I'm SO excited! If I don't hear from you I'm just going to haul em home until my back hurts.

Good day. Glad the creeps in the van only sat there and didn't hassle you in any way. Who knows what that was all about. So, yeah, hunting buddy and always let someone know where you are going to be. Can't be too safe.

Sometimes its fun being the creeps though.

A decade or so ago, Richard Benefield and I were in the Trinity River bottom in Downtown Dallas. There used to be a incredible shark tooth site there, but alas, it's no more. Anyway, we were down in the mud at the edge of the river hunting. It was Summer, so the river smelled like... like... well, let's just say it wasn't nice. We started noticing a few beer cans floating by, so we went to investigate.

We found that there were a bunch of high school kids skipping school, so we just came up out of the river brambles in front of them. Now, you have to understand, we are a nearly mile from legal roadways, under a highway bridge. These kids thought they were a million miles from anything.

Now picture us: Me, 6'4", 295lbs at the time , covered in nastiness, probably bleeding from busting my knuckles removing shark teeth, carrying large hammers, a pick and a large backpack; and Richard, not that much smaller than I, with a Oklahoma look in his eyes that would make the director of deliverance think twice.

You've never seen a pack of 17 year olds freak out so bad!

One was trying to distract us while the rest were diving into pickups and running like the wind!

It was one of those moments!