July Hors D' Oeurves - A Little Taste Of Texas

Uncle Siphuncle

If there's one thing I hate, its being crowded out of the field by ammonites....hehehe

The antelope horn cores are I believe Capromeryx schuleri...correct me if I'm wrong....anyway, years ago I found a decent left side and recently found an even better right side...today with a wad of clay in the middle to simulate living position, I think they make a pretty cool 3D presentation...

post-22-087414600 1279847833_thumb.jpg

post-22-074456500 1279847852_thumb.jpg

post-22-014082900 1279847862_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Great Finds, Dan.

So, how much DOES a wagon full of ammonites weigh?:P

Like the antlers, too!

Thanks for showing us!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Umm...the biggest Eopachydiscus on the bottom is actually 2, the biggun with a 6-8 incher jutting out of it at a weird angle...together weighing an estimated 100 LBS....will confirm with a scale....

Grüße,

Wow! That must've taken some finagling to get it back to the car! :D

Some monsters, there. :wub:

Sheesh!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great finds, love the horn cores.

According to Wiki,

Shuler's Pronghorn = Tetrameryx shuleri

Dwarf Pronghorn = Capromeryx minor

Conkling's pronghorn = Stockoceros conklingi

Hey Barry good follow up on the antelope...will look into this and reflect accordingly in my report.

Grüße,

Great haul! love that big one with the smaller one sticking out of it. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

*like a kid in a candy store* I'll take that one... and that one.... and one of those...

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The first ammonite its a schlonbachia varians to the cenomanien stage? Best regard

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish

I think they are all Eopachydiscus and Mortoniceras, both comprising the "common currency" of Texas ammonites......Duck Creek Formation

Grüße,

i can't believe you're still collecting eopachydiscus herniossimusii. the last two i wrangled into tj's truckbed i was sorely tempted to leave there forever as opposed to wrangling them back out to a more suitable location. and it does no good to try to wait them out and hope they'll biodegrade into smaller and more manageable constituent pieces, because the duck creek limestone finds it easy to be hard.

"Easy to be Hard"...you getting back to your 70s rock roots, Tracer???

Grüße,

Nice stuff!! The antilocaprid material is most likely Tetrameryx shuleri. It can be distinguished from Stockoceros material by the fact that the rear horn core (which is slightly flattened) is generally much longer than the front horn core (which is relatively rounded in cross section). In Stockoceros the horn cores are basically equal in length and are both generally round in cross section.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Thanks Joe.

Grüße,

• 3 years later...

Capromeryx is the smallest of the antilocaprids, and has two horn cores which are parallel to each other. In the Blancan and early Irvingtonian, they are of about the same length, but as time goes on, the anterior tine gets smaller and smaller, until in some of the New Mexico Rancholabrean specimens it has almost completely disappeared.

Here is a paper on the New Mexico specimens with some illustrations: CLICK HERE.

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".