Droptams Armatus Trilobites

Adrian Edwards

And the second one. This has also had no restoration work.

Edit to add - This is incorrect and this specimen has had some restoration.

These are the only two drotops I have photos of for the moment. Let me know if you'd like to see more.

Adrian

post-3810-067562400 1281152879_thumb.jpg

post-3810-091758300 1281152881_thumb.jpg

post-3810-029439400 1281152884_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adrian Edwards

With all due respect, these are called Drotops armatus (Struve 1995), not Droptams armatus.

In addition to that, which expert identified these as being trilobites with no restoration? At the least I see many repairs and lots of points on the exoskeletons where the air chisel hit the exoskeleton (especially the second specimen!), I doubt the person that had so little expertise with prepping trilobites couldn't have possibly kept all the spines intact.

Self evidently these specimens are from Morocco.

cheers,

Mark

I agree that you can see some restoration, especially on the spines, but that is to be expected and does not take away from the beauty of these specimens. Yes, please show us some more!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

With all due respect, these are called Drotops armatus (Struve 1995), not Droptams armatus.

In addition to that, which expert identified these as being trilobites with no restoration? At the least I see many repairs and lots of points on the exoskeletons where the air chisel hit the exoskeleton (especially the second specimen!), I doubt the person that had so little expertise with prepping trilobites couldn't have possibly kept all the spines intact.

Self evidently these specimens are from Morocco.

cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for making that post.

You are right that the text didn't match the description properly. I posted the topic (and also this message) on behalf of Adrian (who is blind and getting to grips with using the forum with screenreader software), and used the incorrect text for the description. I am not myself an expert on fossils, but becoming ever more interested thanks to this forum and Adrian.

As with most specimens of this type, there is a degree of restoration, and you are right that the first specimen is the better piece.

As for the typo in the title, even I know that it's wrong and am not sure why I typed that..

The specimens are from Hamar Laghdad in Morocco.

Do you have any Drotops Armatus yourself?

Regards,

Jon (on behalf of Adrian)

Edited by Adrian Edwards

Hi Jon & Adrian,

Let me begin with a belated welcome to the forum to the both of you.

I do not own a Drotops because with lack of opportunity to collect in Morocco myself, and because the highest quality specimens are so exceptionally scarce and expensive, I don't collect Moroccan trilobites at this moment.

In fact when I collect and hunt trilobites I have to cross the Channel and come to West-Shropshire or Wales to get to the good trilobite hunting grounds. It would be great to see more trilobites in your shop that originate from those fossilerous localities hidden in the beautiful British landscapes.

cheers,

Mark

In fact when I collect and hunt trilobites I have to cross the Channel and come to West-Shropshire or Wales to get to the good trilobite hunting grounds. It would be great to see more trilobites in your shop that originate from those fossilerous localities hidden in the beautiful British landscapes.

Very interesting. We do have a collection of british trilobites too, but none on the site at this time.

I'd be interested to hear more about your background and what got you interested. Are you a professional paleontologist?

Maybe you can stop by for a cup of tea and chat next time you're in Shropshire - we're not far away in Birmingham..

Adrian

• 11 months later...

Here is Drotops armatus in my collection,acquired last April at Maps from good Moroccan friend and business partner

Hi Fossil Maniac,

Glad to know that you are also collecting Moroccan trilobites! This is a nie Drotops megalomanicus! What is the size?

Thanks alot

Warm Regards,

Rick

Hi Fossil Maniac,

Glad to know that you are also collecting Moroccan trilobites! This is a nie Drotops megalomanicus! What is the size?

Thanks alot

Warm Regards,

Rick

hey rick :)

the length of the megalomanicus is 9 cm, rather small to the others i've seen, but it holds higher chances of authenticy. there was a 14 cm armatus worn down to the 'bone' but it had signs of fakes! :( lol i got it from a museum fyi ;)

the museum was selling quite a lot of fossils actually, including trilobites (mostly, no, all) which are moroccan, moroccan cephalopods and plants from mazon creek. i had quite a lot of additions originating from this particular museum in boston B)

anywayys... the megalomanicus is from alnif, morocco. :)