Ceratarges Spinosus Trilobite

Adrian Edwards

I had some requests for more photos in the Drotops Armatus thread, so here goes..

This is an extremely spiny Ceratarges Spinosus from the Devonian of Morocco. It has a pair of long, arching "horn" spines - both of which were prepared in a free-standing manner. The large eyes are on the ends of long stalks and have also been prepared free of matrix.

A very unsual feature in trilobite morphology is that all four tailspines have a series of spines growing on the long spines.

Please let me know if you'd like to any different type of photo of this particular specimen.

Adrian.

post-3810-060317100 1281362926_thumb.jpg

post-3810-002891400 1281362929_thumb.jpg

post-3810-011255900 1281362931_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adrian Edwards

Well, a picture of the front of it would be nice. Great trilobite, though - the spiny ones are always nice to see, though probably a pain to prep.

• 2 weeks later...

"The Trilobite Whisperer" :D

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice trilobite Adrian, this one definetly exceeds the majority you see from Morocco! Good going. :D

Hi Adrian, welcome to the forum! I'm really fascinated by the spines and the eye stalks especially on those dudes. Are there any details of the eyes themselves present? What an interesting adaptation!

Also, it looks like you've got a couple of them? Is that right? In that 3rd set of pictures the 1st picture is a view from behind which appears to show one that has longer horn spines that cross the eyestalks and then in the 3rd picture the frontal view shows one with the horns that do not cross the shorter eyestalks. Is the latter a juvenile of the same species--or maybe is that just a variation within the species? It almost looks like the eye stalks had to grow laterally in the one specimen to see around the horns! Really strange, strange creatures....thanks for sharing. Regards, Chris

Hi Adrian,

Nice Trilo! I'd suggest you check out the latest issue of the German magazine "Fossilien". One of our Steinkern Forum Members has written an article about the preparation of similar Trilobites from Marocco. Here's a link to a thread about Maroccan Trilobites in the Forum:

http://www.steinkern.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7144

Best wishes,Roger

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hi Adrian, welcome to the forum! I'm really fascinated by the spines and the eye stalks especially on those dudes. Are there any details of the eyes themselves present? What an interesting adaptation!

Yes, this one is extremely spiny.

Unfortunately I don't think there are eye details visible.

Also, it looks like you've got a couple of them? Is that right? In that 3rd set of pictures the 1st picture is a view from behind which appears to show one that has longer horn spines that cross the eyestalks and then in the 3rd picture the frontal view shows one with the horns that do not cross the shorter eyestalks. Is the latter a juvenile of the same species--or maybe is that just a variation within the species? It almost looks like the eye stalks had to grow laterally in the one specimen to see around the horns! Really strange, strange creatures....thanks for sharing. Regards, Chris

This is interesting. The way the eyes and horns are formed do look quite different in the two photos you mention, but it's actually the same specimen. I don't know how to explain it better than being because of the camera perspective.

There are some more photos and information at http://mirrorstonecr...arges-spinosus/

Cheers,

Jon (on behalf of Adrian)

Hi Adrian,

Nice Trilo! I'd suggest you check out the latest issue of the German magazine "Fossilien". One of our Steinkern Forum Members has written an article about the preparation of similar Trilobites from Marocco. Here's a link to a thread about Maroccan Trilobites in the Forum:

http://www.steinkern...opic.php?t=7144

Best wishes,Roger

I registered and 'read' through the thread. Great photos! Unfortunately my German isn't up to much..

Yes, this one is extremely spiny.

Unfortunately I don't think there are eye details visible.

This is interesting. The way the eyes and horns are formed do look quite different in the two photos you mention, but it's actually the same specimen. I don't know how to explain it better than being because of the camera perspective.

There are some more photos and information at http://mirrorstonecr...arges-spinosus/

Cheers,

Jon/Adrian, thanks for the reply. Regards, Chris

I registered and 'read' through the thread. Great photos! Unfortunately my German isn't up to much..

Hi Adrian/Jon. Been away for a while and forgot to punch the Watch this Topic button. Glad you liked the pics anyway. Too bad about the language barrier, cause there's lots of info there. Trilos are fascinating creatures. I'm so glad to have finally been able to have found some myself on my recent trip to Ontario.

Best wishes, Roger.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/