Can Anybody Give This Fossil A Name?

fossilfinder

AAH HA!!i was right!! now dont you ever underestimate my knoledge again! :P!!!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Solius: are you sure that it is a coral? I think more as a crinoid calix! Look at it the other way round.It even have a strange form for a coral.I`m not a crinoid speciallist, but it looks to me as one.

I`ve found in my index book,certain European Crinozoa,that looks very similar to it (Pyxidocrinus,Stamnocrinus...) B):blink:

Definately a crinoid. Looks to be the chert that is embedded in the Mississippian Burlington fm. It is full of crinoids preserved this way.

I'm interested in seeing the "nut". There's no way it is a nut....about 150 million years too old. Without seeing it, my bet is a brachiopod or blastoid.

I would vote coral, but am far from an expert.

I find Ordovician material mixed in with Cretaceous fairly commonly. The Ordovician is gravel that has been re-worked and then washed into the area.

Also, in this area, Cretaceous material (McNairy and Owl Creek) is deposited directly on top of Paleozoic rock (Smithville, etc), and I don't live far from Arkansas.

I agree with the X-man, it does look like Burlington.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

me too im very interested to see it! PM me! i have found bits of wood and leaves in marine sediment before....lots of little bits, poorly preserved but still there in the same beds. I found it as quite a nice suprise when i spotted a small glossopteris leaf next to a clam :)! interesting too as all the other permian beds seem to be either marine or remains of a swamp.....i guess theses came out of a swamp like enviroment through an estuary into the open ocean, very neat indeed.
Also I have a very nice fossil tree stump 10-12 in. in dia. and other pet. wood coming from this same spot!

Your not, post a pic of what your thinking is a fossil nut husk.

Here's the nut husk, I have a wax mode of it post-412-1209150031_thumb.jpgthat tells more

post-412-1209150744_thumb.jpg
Also I have a very nice fossil tree stump 10-12 in. in dia. and other pet. wood coming from this same spot!

Here's the nut husk, I have a wax mode of it post-412-1209150031_thumb.jpgthat tells more

Fossilfinder - that's a nice find. It is the cast of the base of a crinoid calyx. Note the circular scar at the bottom - that's where the column attaches. Also, note the 5-sided symmetry that is common with most echinoderms.

Definately a crinoid. Looks to be the chert that is embedded in the Mississippian Burlington fm. It is full of crinoids preserved this way.

I'm interested in seeing the "nut". There's no way it is a nut....about 150 million years too old. Without seeing it, my bet is a brachiopod or blastoid.

This is a wax mode of the fossil! Notice where the stem seperated from the husk. The 2 round objects are fossil nuts the came out intact from inside of rocks!post-412-1209153536_thumb.jpg

This is a wax mode of the fossil! Notice where the stem seperated from the husk. The 2 round objects are fossil nuts the came out intact from inside of rocks!post-412-1209153536_thumb.jpg

Fossilfinder - that's a great wax cast! It is absolutely a crinoid calyx. I have a flattened one just like it from near Hannibal, Mo. You can see the individual plates in your cast. I think the smaller objects are internal molds of blastoids, but it is a little hard to tell from the photo. That's one of the best casts I've seen of a chert mold. Very well done!

Fossilfinder - that's a great wax cast! It is absolutely a crinoid calyx. I have a flattened one just like it from near Hannibal, Mo. You can see the individual plates in your cast. I think the smaller objects are internal molds of blastoids, but it is a little hard to tell from the photo. That's one of the best casts I've seen of a chert mold. Very well done!
Do you have a photo you can post?

here's a really cruddy photo. Sorry. I'll try again later, but I was having trouble getting any kind of contrast with a flash. Hopefully you can get the idea.

post-98-1209157267_thumb.jpg

here's a really cruddy photo. Sorry. I'll try again later, but I was having trouble getting any kind of contrast with a flash. Hopefully you can get the idea.
This looks real similar, but I still see a difference. send me an address if you like and I will mail this wax mode to you.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Your tree stump looks an awful lot like a stromatolite to me or maybe a really nice big sponge. I see nothing trestumpish about it. Sorry. And the nut husk is definitely a member of the echinodermata. As far as the nut themselves, I can't see enough detail.

Guest solius symbiosus

The next time I an at the University, I will get a pic of a nice stump.

I guess I have to finally get my glasses. I couldn't see anything ... but it could be the booze. :P

Fossilfinder, a tutorial on how to make such fine casts would be much appreciated.

The next time I an at the University, I will get a pic of a nice stump.

I guess I have to finally get my glasses. I couldn't see anything ... but it could be the booze. :P

Fossilfinder, a tutorial on how to make such fine casts would be much appreciated.

GOOD MORNING !! Do you got a hangover? I don't--don't drink anymore! Jesus is my Lord, by his Grace! Here is a photo of what I think appears as pet. wood which I found very close to what I think appears as a stump! I don,t claim to be a fossil photo expert! Although if I was, I think my opinions would be more excepted and respected given sober!post-412-1209216042_thumb.jpg

GOOD MORNING !! Do you got a hangover? I don't--don't drink anymore! Jesus is my Lord, by his Grace! Here is a photo of what I think appears as pet. wood which I found very close to what I think appears as a stump! I don,t claim to be a fossil photo expert! Although if I was, I think my opinions would be more excepted and respected given sober!post-412-1209216042_thumb.jpg

Fossilfinder - this one is a horn coral. You are hunting in an ocean deposit, so you won't find plant remains. Here is a primer on the Burlington Fm. you might enjoy and find helpful.

http://mofossils.com/fossiltopics.html

Fossilfinder - this one is a horn coral. You are hunting in an ocean deposit, so you won't find plant remains. Here is a primer on the Burlington Fm. you might enjoy and find helpful.

http://mofossils.com/fossiltopics.html

Thank you, I find this info MOST helpfull! I'm finding something new here everytime I search! I have what appears to me to be a leaf,maybe a marine plant ?post-412-1209220914_thumb.jpg

Thank you, I find this info MOST helpfull! I'm finding something new here everytime I search! I have what appears to me to be a leaf,maybe a marine plant ?post-412-1209220914_thumb.jpg

looks like a bryozoa - a colonial sea animal kind of like a coral.

post-412-1209222430_thumb.jpg
looks like a bryozoa - a colonial sea animal kind of like a coral.
Here is a similar one of the same area