Legit Fossil Dealers

2gould

Hey guys:

I was wondering if you could tell me if there are any ways to determine whether a fossil/artifact dealer is legitimate? I stumbled across a shop last week in Boston which was displaying some fossil fish, teeth etc, and wondered if there was any way to gauge the quality of the shop. Being a newbie I don't know what to look for. Any help appreciated! Thanks

Charley

First and foremost, ask questions. A legit dealer should be able and willing to answer any questions you may have. They should also be alble to give fairly specific details as to where a fossil was found, such as age, formation, specific location etc. not just "ammonite from Madagascar" or "Moroccan shark tooth". Check the sales stock, if there are 20 trilobites all posed the same, they could be fakes. Check the items closely for obvious repairs and ask the dealer about them. As for teeth, you could take a pin and try to scratch the enamel. Real teeth won't be affected but resin replicas will scratch. Hope this helps a bit.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest N.AL.hunter

I would suggest a couple of things:

1. Do they offer a full refund if you find out that the item is not what is advertised?

2. Take a hand lens with you and look at the specimen carefully for any touch-up paint or filler. Look really hard at the contact of the fossil with the matrix.

3. Are all their specimens "100% complete and untouched, perfect" ? If so, be very careful. A good dealer will tell you what has been done to each item he is selling and to what degree.

4. Ask them questions to test their knowledge. All good dealers know their stuff.

5. Do exactly what you have done here, ask around. For example I believe that Indiana9Fossils is a good dealer and so is Stones and Bones and so is Extinctions.com. Several others are also good and other collectors can tell you if they have had good dealings with them in the past.

6. Are the prices too good to be true? Looking on the web at all dealers gives you a good rough idea of what a retail price is, so study up.

7. And as a rule of thumb, contact the dealer (if doing this online or in person) and negotiate the price. Very rarely will one not come down just a little.

I am sure others here will have more suggestions.

• Members

Lots of good advice above postings

Ask questions...specific ones. One of the most important is specific info on local and formation....and the reverse...if they call a specimen by the genus and species ask 'why'....and the answer shouldn't be 'because that's what Bob told me and he knows his stuff'.

I'd say 85% of dino material sold is misidentified. Isolated specimens of teeth, phalanges, etc. are not possible to identify to species (and rarely to genus) unless found articulated (bones found together in proper position as in life)....or...someone REALLY knows their stuff through hundred of hours working with articulated dinos.

My buddies and I will find a toe bone..."probably a Hadrosaur but maybe a third digit on a Certopsian because....80% sure it's Hadrosaur"

We take it to the Tyrell where theyve unearthed more dino than everywhere else combined; ..".hmmm it's likely Hadroasaur because of....89% sure."

So we'll label it as 'Hadrosaur' with some level of confidence.

In contrast some fossil dealer will have the same Hadrosaur specimen named not only to genus (let's say Edmontosaurus) :blink: but to species 'Edmotosaurus annectens' :wacko: Needless to say, I'd question the identity of everthing else that dealer has for sale. And usually the dealer is not trying to deceive but is just passing on bad info he received from someone else.

The bottom line is ask lots of questions and don't buy unless you get specific answers and you can verify those answers.

I agree with the others, but would like to add a caution on scratching the teeth with pins. Most teeth will not scratch but some will and it will damage the fossil permenantly. i have personally collected many jurassic dinosaur teeth and alot of them will definately scratch. you should also study up on the fossil that you are interested in purchasing. get to know them very well before buying it. you will get a better deal and your chances of getting a fake is diminished extremely. don't be in a hurry to buy. always take your time, good deals are always to be found in this industry.

good luck

Brock

My advice:

Do not buy retail. Do not go into a "fossil store" with any purpose other than to make fun of their ridiculous prices. Retailers usually know very little about the fossils they sell, they only pass along info. Buy directly from the source, you'll save money, you know you're buying 100% authentic unscrewed with fossils, and you'll be able to ask questions (and GET ANSWERS) about the collecting site, formation, etc.

• I found this Informative 1