Some New Stuff

jason longboard

COuld use some IDs on a few, would love to know what you think this little tiny super fat root guy is. Then, you will see a flat looking thing in a matrix, with the little shapes in it I was thinking it could be coprolite of some sort but just not sure. I will get better pics later.

The white teeth I found in a pocket about 40 feet down from where I find the pretty colored makos. THese white ones are almost never very strong and the roots crumble, you will be sad as I am in the one pic of me holding these giant hallow teeth lol.

The 50 dark tigers I just got from Bmorefossil. So pleased.

post-3801-088304500 1283565204_thumb.jpg

post-3801-033440800 1283564584_thumb.jpg

post-3801-014336400 1283564659_thumb.jpg

post-3801-058721800 1283564725_thumb.jpg

post-3801-023237300 1283564765_thumb.jpg

post-3801-022783800 1283564814_thumb.jpg

post-3801-046807300 1283564874_thumb.jpg

post-3801-098784600 1283564923_thumb.jpg

post-3801-092341600 1283565003_thumb.jpg

post-3801-015142600 1283565048_thumb.jpg

post-3801-061656400 1283565097_thumb.jpg

post-3801-074834000 1283565162_thumb.jpg

Edited by jason longboard

Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable is my mentor.

Oooo yeah!

I especially like the matrix pieces :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Oooo yeah!

I especially like the matrix pieces :wub:

Gotta love that little one with the tooth and the ray mouth parts. Any ideas of what the boomerang shaped thing is, and the flat poop rock looking thing in the matrix lol?

Thanks for the reply Auspex.

post-3801-046520800 1283570439_thumb.jpg

Some pics of the area, and the cabinet shown in the front room Im thinking of installing lights and glass to show some larger fossils. Then the bathroom pic, Im going to do a Fossil type painting, trying to come up with something with a fossil yet add something modern. Dont laugh.

post-3801-070245500 1283569859_thumb.jpg

post-3801-074342700 1283569934_thumb.jpg

post-3801-001344700 1283570070_thumb.jpg

post-3801-093619200 1283570382_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pix of the fied site. i like to see that sort of stuff in there with fossil pix. Nice crows too.

And... I am also a fan of the Crown bags. They make wonderful sandbags.

Edited by jpc

I dont know if its me but i love pieces in the matrix. I think it brings home the time it took to get to that point,not to mention people seem to always go for the matrix pieces first. (Not that I have alot to choose from.)

The boomerang tooth is likely a Myliobatoid(eagle ray)

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Nice finds --- Looks like you get a combo -- makos in matrix and some very clean ancient tigers. From your pics on the hillside, looks like a lot of effort also..

I was actually in West Hollywood yesterday thinking "Gee, Bakersfield looks close :unsure: !!" Maybe some month when I'm working in Pasadena, I could take a side trip.

Is it like Florida where you really have to know where to look, even to find the smallest teeth?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice finds --- Looks like you get a combo -- makos in matrix and some very clean ancient tigers. From your pics on the hillside, looks like a lot of effort also..

I was actually in West Hollywood yesterday thinking "Gee, Bakersfield looks close :unsure: !!" Maybe some month when I'm working in Pasadena, I could take a side trip.

Is it like Florida where you really have to know where to look, even to find the smallest teeth?

Im going to go out on a limb here, and say, that I dont think, with all my heart, that anything in Bakersfield is anything like Florida haha.

I know what you meant though,just had to say that lol.

The trick, you can go right to any of the exposed bone bed, usually at the bottom of those dig outs, and the bed is anywhere from 6 inch's to 18 inch's.

Now, the slighter the slope above you, the less chance of an avalanche, of very heavy crud lol, and ppl have been greedy here and I know a few have been hurt and covered and I think a couple died.

We like to find spots that the hill slopes less and then chop off the top about 5 feet to be able to come down from the top to the bone bed. If I find a spot that is not a 3 foot cave, then I will just start in that if Im too tired and it looks good. A steep hill with a deep cave is asking for death. I risk it in some spots, not others.

There is a spot thats perfect I go to and its about 100 feet of knowing I will find something for certain. You will always find bone. Around the other hills, there are pockets all over. Im not going to give those to everyone but I will say, some days I hit none, others I get 10 to 2o teeth.

Today I got around 10 to 15 teeth with a few being awesome and cant wait to take pics and show.

I will be more than happy to meet anyone from this site out their if Im able, as long as they are not freaky weirdos because I deal with enough of those in this town.

Sorry ramblin now but yes, PM me if someones coming down here, if I got time I will meet up, dont have to dig together, whatever either way, at least you wont waste a trip. I wont put money on finding teeth, but for me I always assume I will.

Someone please give an opinion on that little tooth with the huge root.

I love that thing, but not for certain on the species.

Now, to those of you who like these pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it takes me for ever to re-size them and Ive got one of those free download re-size things but it sux. Is their a way to make them download from my coolpix camera without them being huge? Thats what you guys owe me in return lol.

Is their a way to make them download from my coolpix camera without them being huge?

Change your camera settings for pics you will be sending on-line; for those, there is no reason to shoot at more that 72PPI. I think the CoolPix can shoot smaller size captures too.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Someone please give an opinion on that little tooth with the huge root.

I love that thing, but not for certain on the species.

That tooth is a tiger shark tooth, formerly known as Galeocerdo contortus, now known as Physogaleus contortus. It is a lower anterior position, thus the fatter/thicker root. I have 15,000 tiger shark teeth from Maryland, and have many many from this same position.

Daryl.

Technically, it's not a lower anterior but a lower symphyseal (or parasymphyseal if one was on each side of the symphysis) tooth but you nailed the ID otherwise. You can see one in Figure 50 on page 147 in Purdy et al. (2001), the third Lee Creek volume which covers fish, reptiles, and birds. It's not a close-up and you can't make out the thickness of the root but you can recognize the overall shape and make the connection.

Purdy, R.W., V.P. Schneider, S.P. Applegate, J.H. McLellan, R.L. Meyer, and B.H. Slaughter. 2001.

The Neogene Sharks, Rays, and Bony Fishes from Lee Creek Mine, Aurora, North Carolina. In C.E Ray and D.J. Bohaska (eds.) Geology and Paleontology of the Lee Creek Mine, North Carolina, III, Smithsonian Contributions to Paleobiology. 90: 71-202.

That tooth is a tiger shark tooth, formerly known as Galeocerdo contortus, now known as Physogaleus contortus. It is a lower anterior position, thus the fatter/thicker root. I have 15,000 tiger shark teeth from Maryland, and have many many from this same position.

Daryl.

Edited by siteseer

just seems odd its the only one I have found after at least 30 digs.

It's an uncommon tooth because there appears to have been only one file of that morphology per individual shark. Parasymphyseal teeth are small on top of it - could be overlooked if you're not screening, assuming you're working in matrix suitable for screening.

just seems odd its the only one I have found after at least 30 digs.