Is This A Mako With A Cusp?

Mango

Found this nice Mako on the weekend. 2 1/16". Manatee County, Florida.

I don't have many mako lowers to compare this to, so I looked through my books. Couldn't find a pic of a mako with a cusp.

Looking closely, I am guessing it is a pathology. What do you think?

Thanks.

post-1351-087734800 1283822989_thumb.jpg

post-1351-056590000 1283823087_thumb.jpg

post-1351-088996000 1283823108_thumb.jpg

Pentax Optio W60

I've seen that on I. desori a couple times (rare, to me). Don't know whether it's a pathology or a genetic throw-back.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

oh, criminey, no! those are freakin' bolts in its neck!

isurus frankenstumpfus

Tracer--Believe you might have something there--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Mango,

Pretty, Pretty tooth with a puzzle -- Must have felt really good to find it.. It is a Mako, and that does look like a Cusp -- real nice conversation piece!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Yeah, I've seen cusps on hastalis and planus as well but not often. It could be just a minor variation in form - a slight overdevelopment of the enameloid - or a genetic expression from an ancestor as Auspex said.

• I found this Informative 1

I have examples of retroflexus makos with pronounced cusps, but the hastalis makos in this thread are the first Ive seen with them.

It's a beautiful tooth. Congratulations on finding it and thanks for sharing it with us. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Thanks for all the input. Coloration on mine looks very much like the colors on Nandomas 2nd tooth.

Hastalis with cusp it is. I am starting a drawer labeled RARE. It is near empty.

Pentax Optio W60

How could I not be running to look at all mine now. :wacko: Yeah I needed something else to do.

Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable is my mentor.

Lateral cusplets do appear to occur less within Isurus than they do in Carcharodon - within Carcharodon they more frequently occur in juveniles (and I would bet the same holds true for Isurus). I've got a pretty nice Isurus planus tooth with cusplets from Sharktooth Hill.

Bobby

• I found this Informative 1