Chomped Trilo?

FossilForKids

According to a paleotologist that was at U-Dig when I was there this Trilo's damage was caused by a predator (with grasping appendages similar to the Tulley Monster). The guys at U-dig said this was only the 3rd one they have verified to have predation damage. You can tell by the disruption pattern that it is not hammer or chisel damage. Anyway I think it's unique and tells a story. It's my favorite find of the trip.

post-1292-014915300 1283955331_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

That's really neat :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

yes it is. and it is quite uncommon, but many more than 3 have been found. here is one that i found on my first trip at udig. notice teh ends of the pluerae have started to heal and regenerate. yours is a particularly nice example. anomolicaris is the predator. parts of them are rarely found in the Marjum formation and i think one was found in the Weeks fm as well.

Brock

post-37-021969500 1283958438_thumb.jpg

Thanks Chas. I like the contrast next to an upside down beheaded president :P

Very nice specimen showing the results of predation. Your specimen looks like it got away from whatever took a bite out of it (most likely an Anomalocarid). The bite mark resembles those commonly found on trilobites from the Burgess Shale which are attributed to Anomalocaris.

John,

Very cool! Thanks for posting the photo!:)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

yes it is. and it is quite uncommon, but many more than 3 have been found. here is one that i found on my first trip at udig. notice teh ends of the pluerae have started to heal and regenerate. yours is a particularly nice example. anomolicaris is the predator. parts of them are rarely found in the Marjum formation and i think one was found in the Weeks fm as well.

Brock

Maybe he meant he only found 3 (Bevan)