Feathered Allosauridae?

Scylla

Interesting; I wish there were images of the papillae.

They should only exist to anchor an integumentary structure (bristles, feathers), and the only reason to have such anchored is to provide for control of them, either passive (to keep them in place) or active (for movement by musculature). Any way you look at it, it is a clue to behavior :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Interesting; I wish there were images of the papilllae.

They should only exist to anchor an integumentary structure (bristles, feathers), and the only reason to have such anchored is to provide for control of them, either passive (to keep them in place) or active (for movement by musculature). Any way you look at it, it is a clue to behavior :)

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v467/n7312/pdf/nature09181.pdf

look at fig 4.

Edited by Scylla

Thanks!

I would like to note that the modern example provided there (a vulture) might not have been the best choice, since it shows two rows of papillae; the vast majority of birds have one row, like the fossil. Also, the papillae on the fossil ulna are not on the correct side of the bone to have had anything to do with flight (not than anyone is likely to think of big honking dinosaurs flying, but the example is being made to feathers).

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

wow i alwase love it when a new dinosaur is discovered its like trying to find all the peices for "the" puzzle.

-shamus

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.