Who Lost This Tooth?

Foshunter

I know enough about Pleistocene fossils to be dangerous. Found in the Sulphur River and have not a clue to whom it belonged, could have broken off Tracers mystery bone. I did take it to the Tampa Fossil Show and let this vendor, who had one of every Pleistocene bone ever found in Florida for sale, take a look and replied looked like a camel tooth on steroids. Any body have a clue what it is?--Tom

post-3940-029115800 1283978243_thumb.jpg

post-3940-023016400 1283978246_thumb.jpg

post-3940-048018600 1283978249_thumb.jpg

post-3940-044519300 1283978252_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

that's really cool! and i don't know what it would be if it wasn't camelid. maybe it's camelops megadentus

i just made that up. feel free to use it if it's a new species...

that's really cool! and i don't know what it would be if it wasn't camelid. maybe it's camelops megadentus

i just made that up. feel free to use it if it's a new species...

I was hoping to get a rise out of you--that's Texas lingo too.--Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Length and width of the crown at the occlusal surface would be useful.

This may be Megatylopus sp., a giant camel that lived in the Mio-Pliocene of Florida and of Texas.

Here's a comparison of toe bones:

post-42-081806100 1283983155_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Very nice find!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

That's a cool tooth. Recently, I saw a camel tooth that size ID'ed as Camelops from the Kern County, California tar pits.

Length and width of the crown at the occlusal surface would be useful.

This may be Megatylopus sp., a giant camel that lived in the Mio-Pliocene of Florida and of Texas.

Here's a comparison of toe bones:

post-42-081806100 1283983155_thumb.jpg

That's a cool tooth. Recently, I saw a camel tooth that size ID'ed as Camelops from the Kern County, California tar pits.

Camelops is as good a guess as Megatylopus, perhaps better. Camelops is common, while Megatylopus is not. I'd still like to know the dimensions.

What seest thou else

Camelops is as good a guess as Megatylopus, perhaps better. Camelops is common, while Megatylopus is not. I'd still like to know the dimensions.

I hope this is the measurements you need. across both crowns is 1 11/16 (43mm) and from back to front of a single crown looking at tthe top it is 1 inch even (26mm). In the Sulphur River Collectors Guide book there is a picture on the last page of a Musk Ox skull found there(pictured) what do the teeth look like as I have never been bitten by one and is a possibility of a match? --Tom

post-3940-025064700 1284057387_thumb.jpg

Edited by Foshunter

"Don't Tread On Me"

I hope this is the measurements you need. across both crowns is 1 11/16 (43mm) and from back to front of a single crown looking at tthe top it is 1 inch even (26mm). In the Sulphur River Collectors Guide book there is a picture on the last page of a Musk Ox skull found there(pictured) what do the teeth look like as I have never been bitten by one and is a possibility of a match? --Tom

Your tooth doesn't strike me as bovid (musk ox), but I have no experience with musk ox teeth. Anything is possible.

Interesting (but not dispositive), the lower molar measurements for Megatylopus primaevus (from Texas) are:

M1 length x width . . . . . . . . . . 34.0 x 18.8 mm

M2 L x W . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 43/0 x 21.0 mm

M3 L x W . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50.8 x 20.0

What seest thou else

A few years ago, a flea market dealer showed me what he claimed was a fossil musk ox tooth (Pleistocene, Cherokee County, Iowa). Musk oxen had reached that far south during the Pleistocene. It looked like a bison tooth to me so I asked him how to distinguish bison from musk ox. He didn't know, saying it was ID'ed by the source who seemed very knowledgeable. He had some bison teeth as well though I wondered if they were just modern bovid. I should have bought it but didn't. Thinking about buying it just out of curiosity, I went to that flea market the following month but he had sold it.

I have large camel tooth from the Pliocene of Nebraska (Broadwater fauna) and will try to get a photo of it. A friend thinks that's a Megatylopus.

Your tooth doesn't strike me as bovid (musk ox), but I have no experience with musk ox teeth. Anything is possible.

Interesting (but not dispositive), the lower molar measurements for Megatylopus primaevus (from Texas) are:

M1 length x width . . . . . . . . . . 34.0 x 18.8 mm

M2 L x W . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 43/0 x 21.0 mm

M3 L x W . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50.8 x 20.0

I agree with Megatylopus sp.

Megatylopus wiki

By the way, in the article, talks about "A single specimen was examined for estimated body mass by M. Mendoza, C. M. Janis, and P. Palmqvist. This specimen was estimated to weigh 1,698.4 kg (3,700 lb)". I met doctopr Palmqvist once in a conference, and he was qa nice guy!