Whale Fossil Found At San Diego Zoo

Seldom

While digging a storm drain

My link

Edited by Seldom

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

:) That's really great.It's nice to see there are laws there as well to give people a chance to remove important fossils.We preposed the same for our county,but it was a no go.I know of 2 complete skeletons that would have made it if we had a similar law.One an Eremothere skeleton was smashed and grated in as fill for a used car lot.The second was a Holmesina skeleton that was smashed and hauled off because too many people seen it and wanted to excavate it with permission. :( You win some and you lose some. :D

Bear-dog.

If it's 3 million years old, it's probably from the San Diego Formation. With all the construction, especially since the 40's, numerous exposures of the formation are now under parking lots, houses, roads, and malls. I've seen and heard about some great stuff in old collections.

While digging a storm drain

My link

Hey Siteseer,

That's definitely the San Diego Fm. - I've been to the SDNHM, and let me tell you - it is disneyland. The majority of their marine mammal fossils are from the SDF, and they've got some really incredible material, and they're getting more of it with every construction project that digs a little bit deeper.

Bobby

Hadrosaur? What the heck are you talking about?

There are some hadrosaur bones from the San Diego area, but very obviously not from the San Diego Formation, and not mentioned anywhere in that article...

Hadrosaur? What the heck are you talking about?

There are some hadrosaur bones from the San Diego area, but very obviously not from the San Diego Formation, and not mentioned anywhere in that article...

OK, maybe I'm just seeing things but I thought someone on this string said something about a hadrosaur being found in SD and how cool it was that there was this whale too. I asked how a hadrosaur could be found in the same area as a whale thinking someone could better explain the stratigraphy of San Diego. But that must have been a halucination on my part, sorry. :unsure:

There are Late Cretaceous, Eocene, and Pliocene sediments within the San Diego area - maybe not all within the same basin, and I'm sure there are other additional units. The San Diego area has actually produced a large % of the dinosaur fossils from California.

Bobby