My One Denver Show Fossil Purchase

2ynpigo

Picked up this trilobite from Horst Burkard at the Holiday Inn as part of my Denver Show trip. It is a Coltraneia outfatenensis from Morocco.

I have bought mineral specimens from Horst a number of times over the years. Horst, a German dealer, specializes in minerals and fossils from Morocco. He tells me that he has been in the business for 26 years. Horst does all of the final prep work on his trilobites, and his work is quite good. His prices are good also.

post-1365-062598400 1285034638_thumb.jpg

post-1365-022506900 1285034652_thumb.jpg

...but you`ve got a Moroccan trilo as your avatar! And one that has been many times copied! :P

The one as my avatar is the real one. its as real as i am. B)

Guest N.AL.hunter

Your pruchase looks real nice. I too have a couple of Trilos from Morocco. They are all real (one has 15% fill-in, but I knew that when I purchased it)

I would request that members on the forum not completly dismiss Moroccon fossils. Some of the best fossils are coming out of that country. You just have to be careful.

The trilobite I bought is real. I know what to look for.

As I (and others) have said on this forum before, Moroccan trilobites are some of the best

from anywhere. And there are honest dealers that sell fossils from Morocco.

Like buying any collectables, it's a good idea to educate yourself to prevent being taken advantage of by dishonest sellers. I choose this approach rather than deny myself the opportunity to get some nice fossils from Morocco.

Thanks N.AL. Hunter.

I have an Oklahoma trilobite with a tiny bit (1%) of restoration. It also has the back side of the matrix stabilized to keep one edge of the matrix and the fossil from easily breaking. I knew this when I bought it. The dealer also disclosed this restoration (as any honest dealer would do). It a great fossil, and I'm happy to have it in my collection even if its not quite 100% real.

Your pruchase looks real nice. I too have a couple of Trilos from Morocco. They are all real (one has 15% fill-in, but I knew that when I purchased it)

I would request that members on the forum not completly dismiss Moroccon fossils. Some of the best fossils are coming out of that country. You just have to be careful.

That's a good point. American trilobites get touch-ups, fill-ins, and add-ons as well. I've seen them on prep tables and I've also seen the hand-drawn maps honest dealers make to show their customers where the work was done.

The rarer the trilobite, no matter where it's from, the greater the pressure for it look really good, increasing the chance of a quick sale.

Thanks N.AL. Hunter.

I have an Oklahoma trilobite with a tiny bit (1%) of restoration. It also has the back side of the matrix stabilized to keep one edge of the matrix and the fossil from easily breaking. I knew this when I bought it. The dealer also disclosed this restoration (as any honest dealer would do). It a great fossil, and I'm happy to have it in my collection even if its not quite 100% real.

That's a good point. American trilobites get touch-ups, fill-ins, and add-ons as well. I've seen them on prep tables and I've also seen the hand-drawn maps honest dealers make to show their customers where the work was done.

The rarer the trilobite, no matter where it's from, the greater the pressure for it look really good, increasing the chance of a quick sale.

Thats why i hate buying preped fossils. i like them raw or just with the matrix ramoved. Sometimes i thing the fracter and break lines make stuff look cool.

Here's a real one I can vouch for. I did much of the prep myself. :D

post-1313-085128700 1285178641_thumb.jpg

Very cool trilobite. I don't own any of these spiny guys yet, but maybe one day.