9/21 Unplanned Trip To The Ram (Oh, And A Few Id's :p)

Darwin Ahoy

So, today was supposed to be an exciting day. I'd taken the day off of work to drive to my mother's as my grandfather was coming up for the day from Alabama (yes, a day...arrived last night, leaving at noon today...he's like that). So, anyway...due to several "things", my car inspection is overdue. It is registered/inspected in PA, as I move around too much, and use my mother's address as my permanent address, to keep it simple. Now, that wouldn't stop me...however, 2 days ago, someone decided to shatter my driver's side mirror during the night, outside the house. So....we decided it was best I don't go into PA until it's fixed.

So, now I have a day off, I'm on the road (as we decided my not coming to PA as I was on my way to PA), and I'm kind of aggravated. What to do?

A nice relaxing fossil hunt at my favorite spot on the Raminessin, of course!

There were no footprints, so I crawled the first few banks. Slow pickings, as there was an abundance of broken teeth this time around. Then I set out to screen, and had some better luck.

Here are the better finds for the day. One nice, large goblin, though the root is destroyed. A symphyseal in good shape (I'm leaning towards Goblin), 2 Hybodus, probably my nicest samhammeri, an unusually long Archaeolamna (first on the left on the bottom row) and a couple that I need your guys' help with.

09212010.jpg

Now for my two question marks. This first one, may just be a rock. It struck me first as a pyncodont tooth, but it's not quite right. It's big, and it's round, but not round like they usually are...it's more triangular (kind of). The cavity also doesn't look right, though it may just be weathered. Opinions?

unknown03.jpg

unknown04.jpg

This one...well, it's probably just a Cretalamna. But as soon as I saw it, something just didn't seem right. Same when I picked it up. It just seems too big, too broad, too straight, too thick. The cusplet seems like it's trying to hide, almost...like it's just barely separated, and quite low. The only other thing I can think of is Cretoxyrhina, which CAN have cusplets, but I have no idea what the comparisons are between the two. Any ideas? Am I just looking too hard at a very robust Cretalamna?

unknown01.jpg

unknown02.jpg

Edited by Darwin Ahoy

pycnodont and Cretalamna. nice finds!

Edited by toothpuller

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Hey Darwin You missed some stuff downstream the other day. I didn't find it, but 3 hands and knees pickers found some nice common stuff. And I mean Knee's. Thats work. Gee your still finding no foot prints on the gravel banks. I found slim picking heading upstream with no foot prints on sunday. I actualy make it to the next bridge and walked back down through the neighborhood and then back upstream to my gear I left behind.

I was wondering how you made out on Sunday. Sorry I couldn't make it out there. Work's been random lately...blah.