Bison Skulls

chrisf

here is a small portion of the cool stuff My son and I have found on the banks of the elkhorn river near Norfolk Ne. check out the size of the horn on the half skull it measures 19 in from the break in the skull to the tip of the horn. the complete skull measures 27 in and the other is 22 in. my 6 year old found a bison vertibre (not pictured) and he thought it looked like a star wars space ship. he flew it around all day. lolpost-3951-077432100 1285123000_thumb.jpg

That's some cool looking finds you have there.

Thanks I had never went fossil hunting before and I found all this in just 2 trips. Im hooked! lol

what do you think the age is?

I really dont know the age but Mike said they probably at least a couple hundred years for the recent skulls but I didnt show him the larger half skull yet I beleive its bison antiquis and if it is than its over 10000 years atleast.

Very cool! Once in a Blue Moon, someone will actually find a bison skull with a projectile point embedded. Those are exceedingly rare and getting even rarer because the Plains Indians began obtaining firearms probably 175 years ago now... the bones on the surface do not survive very long.

All your fossils are belong to us

Very cool! Once in a Blue Moon, someone will actually find a bison skull with a projectile point embedded. Those are exceedingly rare and getting even rarer because the Plains Indians began obtaining firearms probably 175 years ago now... the bones on the surface do not survive very long.

[/qu

that would be very cool. we did find alot of broken up indian pottery in the same area as well as a couple arrow heads and a spear tip.unfortunatly none in the skull. the amount of bones we found was staggering though and we couldnt bring back half of them, so we just kept the skulls and some of the other stuff.

Yes.. often the tribes would herd the bison off of a cliff and maim them.. then just finish them off.. Kill sites often produce an amazing amount of lithics..

~Mike

All your fossils are belong to us

Yes.. often the tribes would herd the bison off of a cliff and maim them.. then just finish them off.. Kill sites often produce an amazing amount of lithics..

~Mike

we actualy found four skulls within 2 miles and a ton of other bones

I was told that modern ones run about 19 to 20 inches anything above that you add 1000 years for ever inch so one at 25 inches would be 4000 to 5000 years.

I do not if true but can believe a part of it.

Jeff

I was told that modern ones run about 19 to 20 inches anything above that you add 1000 years for ever inch so one at 25 inches would be 4000 to 5000 years.

I do not if true but can believe a part of it.

cool Id never had anyone tell me that. i have seen several modern skulls and they really do look different than mine, they seem to be taller and skinnyer so I wonder whats with that.