Starting A New Big Fish Project

Xiphactinus

Finally life is slowing down a little and I can start a long-neglected prep job. Found this giant Pachyrhizodus several years ago, but the preservation of it was such that I didn't know how to prep it. Now that my prepping skills have improved, I'm ready to tackle it.

We excavated the fish in two large jackets. The skull, pectoral fins, vertebral column and tail are what is preserved. The tail was eroding out, so it has a lot of work to do to make it presentable. (This jacket not shown.)

The fish was scavenged heavily. There are hardly any ribs, and no fins on the body. The body was folded in half, so when found, the tail was next to the head.

Here is the jacket with the head. The skull is a little over a foot long. The entire fish is 7-8 feet long. Note how the vertebral column bends sharply in this jacket.

Should be a beauty when done, but this will be a lonnng project. I'll post pix as I go along.

Pachyrhizodus caninus

Upper Cretaceous

Niobrara Chalk Fm.

W. Kansas

post-98-018342300 1285426911_thumb.jpg

post-98-038777000 1285426931_thumb.jpg

You'll do a great job and I can't wait to see how it turns out. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Your work is going to be formidable with so much to replicate by will be worth all the labor and gratification upon completion. Love the amazing Cretaceous--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Another little six-year project?

Plenty of time to build another addition...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Talk about a challenge! I wouldn't know where to begin. You'll do a great job. Just hope I get to see the finished mount.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

:) Great fish.Take your time,you will do a wonderful job judging from your other work. Can't wait to see the finished product. :D

Bear-dog.

Fantastic, X-man! I'm excited to see more photos of the jaws, too. They will help others to recognize the differences between Pachy and mosasaur.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Fantastic, X-man! I'm excited to see more photos of the jaws, too. They will help others to recognize the differences between Pachy and mosasaur.

You are correct, the bigger jaw I just posted looked like the end snout of a mosasaur especially the loose tooth on the back side with the root lobe but just couldn't understand the numbers of teeth being mos.--Tom

post-3940-096748300 1285516387_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

that fish is gonna look SO COOL when it's done! keep us updated :)

-emily

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

WOW...... Great find again.... I know when you say big you mean BIG. :) ... Keep us posted on the prep....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

• 3 months later...

Update...

The first jacket is cleaned and stabilized. No reconstruction started yet.

This fish was really chewed up by sharks. I thought I had both dentaries and they were next to each other. Turns out the left maxilla is totally displaced and is below the right dentary. The left dentary is gone.

Still not sure how I am going to display this one. I will now prep out the second jacket which contains the rest of the vertebral column and the tail. Pix to come...

post-98-0-99849800-1295805325_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-28430100-1295805340_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-89444100-1295805353_thumb.jpg

Here are both jackets arranged as found in the field. Note the edges of the pectoral fins extending from the bottom of the 1st jacket into the top of the second. The jacket with the tail was closest to the surface (the tail was partially exposed) and is more poorly preserved.

(4 foot drywall square for scale)

post-98-0-40571700-1295811850_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-86396300-1295811868_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-63734700-1295811884_thumb.jpg

Very cool fossil Xiphactinus! Will you flip one of the jackets or just present it as found with the tail folded back near the head? Either way it's spectacular, looking forward to following this thread to its completion. You're going to need another large space on the wall ... what a great problem to have!

Thanks and Good Luck! ;)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Very cool fossil Xiphactinus! Will you flip one of the jackets or just present it as found with the tail folded back near the head? Either way it's spectacular, looking forward to following this thread to its completion. You're going to need another large space on the wall ... what a great problem to have!

Thanks and Good Luck! ;)

Right now, I'm leaning towards leaving it as found. Will be easier to display that way.

Xiph... Looking very nice... I agree, as found makes more sense with the fin overlapping... Have you got any free space on your wall? lol

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Xiph... Looking very nice... I agree, as found makes more sense with the fin overlapping... Have you got any free space on your wall? lol

I'm going to have to get creative, for sure! Some fossils may have to be moved into another room.