Isle Of Wight Trip

FF7_Yuffie

Pics will hopefully follow in a few days when I can borrow a digi-cam :)

So, for the past week I've been at the Isle of Wight on my first actual fossil trip.

First of all I've just gotta say the Isle of Wight has the worlds worst public transport system. One bus an hour, services to certain areas start late but finish early, overpriced, long walks from the bus stops to places. The buses really are a nightmare.

On the plus side, the Isle of Wight has got to be the friendliest place I've visited. Everybody was really helpful, especially a fossil shop owner who I spoke too called Jurrasic Jim. He was really helpful, told me where best to look, how to recognise bits and even gave me a discount on some of the items I bought from his shop because I'd bought from him a few times in the past over ebay.

The guys at the Dinosaur Museum were really helpful too, I asked one where to look for the Hypsilophodon Bed when I weas going up to Brighstone. I just expected a quick description but he actually drew me a little detailed map so I could find it.

Anyway, onto the fossils!

Day 1

Went to Yarmouth to try and find the mammal and reptile remains. I'd heard beforehand that this was a really good spot and you should find loads. I didn't get all that much, a small bit of crocodile scute and a small bit of turtle bone. Another guy was down there looking for fossils too and he hadn't found much either, I'm guessing the conditions weren't right or perhaps I'm a hack who doesn't know what to look for!

Day 2

Went to Brighstone Bay/Sherpherds Chine. Turned out to be a complete bust, because of the horrible bus service I didn't get long there at all and found nothing :(

Day 3

No fossil hunting today, went to the Zoo and to a few museums.

Day 4

Went up to Shanklin after been told you can find sea remains there (turns out it's a bad location to go) Then I went around Yaverland and finally I actually found some good stuff!

First of all I found a sharks tooth in matrix, I can't remember the name of the shark but it begins with 'Hexa' I think. Even better, when I took the bone to a guy from the Dinosaur Museum on the beach to confirm it he took one look at it and noticed a bit of bone that I stupidly assumed to be fish.

Turns out it was a bit of Pterosaur wing-finger bone which are pretty rare! :D

I felt excited at finally having found something of note and my good luck continued.

On another slab of matrix I managed to find what I guessed was a tooth, took it to the museum guy and he confirmed it as a Pterosaur tooth! I think from Istiodactylus since it's from the Vectis formation. I was well chuffed with it XD

The shark tooth, Pterosaur tooth and Pterosaur bone find made the trip all worth while :)

Day 5

Final day, today was pretty productive. I went round Yaverland again. I found a small bit of Iguanodon rib, a few rolled bits of Iguanodon bones and I also found two large shark spines in matrix.

They need a lot of prep work to be done to them but, according to one of the blokes at the museum they would be pretty long and nice if done right.

So, all in all twas a disapointing start to the week but picked up once I started searching Yaverland.

It's weird really, Brighstone and Yarmouth are meant to be two really productive places and I found next to nothing there. Yaverland which I heard is over-collected I found quite alot :)

I didn't really find as much bits as I'd have liked but, I would rather find a few rare bits like the Pterosaur tooth and Pterosaur bone than bag fulls of nice but common rolled bits of bone :D

Most importantly, I had a great time! Was awesome and I'm definitely going to go again next year.

I also bought a pair of Iguanodon teeth from Jurassic Jim's shop, each time I've seen them for sale they've been over my price-range so I was pleased to get a pair for a price I could afford! Always wanted an Iggy tooth too :)

Anyway, hopefully I'll get some pictures up soon of my finds! Especially the Pterosaur tooth which I'm pleased with XD

Edited by FF7_Yuffie

Ripping good!

"The shark tooth, Pterosaur tooth and Pterosaur bone find made the trip all worth while"

Knowing your fondness for those flying lizards, I can imagine you're chuffed proper!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks guys :)

I'll hopefully have pics up Thursday/Friday when I can steal borrow my mates digi-cam :)

Can't guarantee that they'll be good pictures since the Pterosaur bits are small and in big chunks of matrix.

I didn't dare risk trying to break up the matrix into smaller chunks, it's really hard stuff, almost like concrete and there's no guarantee which way the rocks gonna split or whether it'll split directly through the tooth/bone bit (which I found out when I ended up splitting a shark spine whilst there XD Luckily I found another 2 to replace it)

I'd have cried if I ended up doing a hack job and breaking the tooth, which is possible with me since I'm a bit of a clumsy oaf at times if I'm perfectly honest.

Anyway, fingers crossed I manage to get a few decent piccies of the bits & pieces :)

• 1 year later...

Sounds like you had a fantastic trip!

I live on the other side of the world but dream of going fossicking on the Isle Of Wight, ever since I purchased a few fossils from there on ebay.

It sounds like an awesome location!

Congrats on your finds.