Awesome Find Around Shark Tooth Hill Area

jason longboard

With the more enlarged view it looks way more like a gastropod internal mold - and looks even less like crustacean. It's not segmented, and it doesn't have a rough surface texture; on the other hand, it is a spiral shape, smooth walled, etc. I'm now 100% confident that this is a gastropod internal mold.

Bobby

It is a gastropod probably very similar to the one I've linked to. Jason it is definitely a very cool concretion and your right it's not the normal rust colored round ones you find. Bring to the dig if you're going and we'll take a closer look. When I got sick the very hard shell/concretion layer was five feet above the bone layer and it did have a few teeth and bones in it.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=27068

John

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

It is a gastropod probably very similar to the one I've linked to. Jason it is definitely a very cool concretion and your right it's not the normal rust colored round ones you find. Bring to the dig if you're going and we'll take a closer look. When I got sick the very hard shell/concretion layer was five feet above the bone layer and it did have a few teeth and bones in it.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=27068

John

yeah Ive got lots of portions of the shell bed at home. Ive got one cool one in the house displayed because it does have a bone across the top of it. Strange the levels its hard for me to grasp sometimes. Like you say that shell layer is about 7 inches thick and 3 to 5 feet above the bone bed. I dont get it if its not from another time.

As far as bringing it to the dig.......I might do that. I know its nothing great but its still not an every day find here. Im going to the Sunday dig.

Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable is my mentor.

I've been to STH only once and the only thing I found was a locked gate and no trespassing sign where I was supposed to go collect :( But I have found many concretions and they can, indeed contain fossils. I agree this looks like a shell mold, gastropod or even oyster. But don't throw it out untill someone with more experience at the site sees it in person!

I've been to STH only once and the only thing I found was a locked gate and no trespassing sign where I was supposed to go collect :( But I have found many concretions and they can, indeed contain fossils. I agree this looks like a shell mold, gastropod or even oyster. But don't throw it out untill someone with more experience at the site sees it in person!

I would never throw out even a big concretion with a shell, creature rather snail like or not, this concretion is in no way something you purchase at the nursery if you know what I mean. So many ppl only collect the fossils, what about the atmosphere the fossils lived in? I like it all.

Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable is my mentor.