My New Pieces, From The Franklin Show

Darwin Ahoy

So, the day went pretty well. There wasn't as much fossil material as last year, but there were some nice things around. I forgot my camera in the car, which was too bad. However, I can at least show you four specimens that were at the show...the ones I bought :P

First, my el-cheapo. A Paleocarcharodon orientalis. Beat up, repaired, but too cheap for me to say no.

PICT0216.jpg

The next two, well. I'm starting to accumulate too much Mosasaur material, I think.

First, Halisaurine jaws w/ teeth. There are a few other associated bits in the matrix, but nothing notable.

PICT0202.jpg

PICT0204.jpg

PICT0206.jpg

Second, the largest Mosasaur tooth I've seen, with root, and some associated bone material.

PICT0210.jpg

PICT0211.jpg

And lastly, probably my favorite one. A Protosphyraena jaw section with teeth.

PICT0207.jpg

I hope a couple of you made it out there! Unfortunately, I didn't manage to meet up with anyone from the forum.

Very Nice! I specially like the huge Mosasaur tooth. :wub:

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

No such thing as "too much Mosasaur"!

That jaw is what the real ones look like; everything you scored is delicious :drool:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

THe last one, you know the one you said might be your fav? I got my loop out and held it up to the screen, it says real small on the top left that you should mail it to Jason. Let me look at the mos jaw, Im pretty sure it had some writing on it too.

Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable is my mentor.

gah they're so beautiful. The matrix looks beautiful too, compared to the fake orange moroccan crud we usually see.

-emily

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

I thought I edited that out! Ummmm...it's a typo!

And thanks, Emmy.

I don't like the fake matrix, but to be honest, I wouldn't NOT get a specimen because of it. For something like that Halisaurine jaw set, it would be the only thing that keeps it from completely falling apart. If I have to choose between setting in a fabricated matrix, or heavily restored, I'll usually choose the fake matrix, as I don't like artificial bone. I turned down a gorgeous Oreodont skull for $90 at that show because it had restoration. However, the restoration was obvious, which I appreciated, rather than being hidden to appear original. I do like to see where restoration is done, if I have a piece that includes it. I'm starting to rant, so I'll shut up now :P

• 1 month later...