New Ammonite In The Collection

Terry Dactyll

well it is a great effect! forum readers who don't understand what I'm talking about;

look at the double image above

Make your eyes cross a bit so you see double

make the Right and Left images overlap and voila! a 3d view of a spectacular fossil!

Scylla....Nope.... Cant do it lol...Someone posted something on this previously in the photography section I think, and I couldnt do it then...(I did wonder what you was on about) ...lol

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

You are a good ammointe hunter! What do you do with them?

Hi Odin.... I enjoyed finding them, I enjoy uncovering the rock from them to see the variation of preservation and subtle differences, and then I enjoy looking and being surrounded by them... Just like everyone does really...

well it is a great effect! forum readers who don't understand what I'm talking about;

look at the double image above

Make your eyes cross a bit so you see double

make the Right and Left images overlap and voila! a 3d view of a spectacular fossil!

Steve, Scylla's absolutely right about the 3D, it's awesome - people go to a lot of trouble to take those :D !

Its a stereoscopic effect. This was the first "3-D" and it was invented in the early 1800's. They used to make devices and glasses to provide this effect but going a little crosseyed works just as well. Most university science departments either have stored or thrown out hundreds of these used in early science classes, especially for looking at chemical structures.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

I got you now guys..... I used the index finger method in between the images moving it towards my eyes, and then got the third image that way. Trouble is, as soon as I lower my finger my eyes go straight back... I should practice but I will just look at the fossil instead ... ;)

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Made a bit of progress... Has the forum been down for maintenance? :)post-1630-0-07323100-1295292077_thumb.jpg

Steve, yeah the forum has been down there's a link about it called 'Were Back'... That's another gorgeous specimen, now the time i'd be starting to get worried! How many hours work is left do you think?

Joe

Kind regards,

Joe

Hi Joe....About 10 hours or so I reckon if all goes to plan...The finer/thinner the calcite layer the slower the progress really... I have to turn the pen right down and be very patient and tickle the rock off... I saw the 'Were back' thread just after posting lol... thanks.. looks like they bust a move on the forum...

Cheers guys.... Roger, this ones called 'Rocky'.... it fought me all the way till the very last round...

Hi Odin.... I enjoyed finding them, I enjoy uncovering the rock from them to see the variation of preservation and subtle differences, and then I enjoy looking and being surrounded by them... Just like everyone does really...

So you keep them in the house, the shed, the garden?

Joe... Thanks... I'm getting within a year of achieving my goal.... 'nothing to prep' lol

Odin... Take your pick, all over the place really... 'Litterally'

Hi Aramon...I got a few of these now... I noticed they were vanishing off the beach a number of years back mainly being taken by a couple of individuals for prep for commercial resale and not wanting to have to buy one myself I learned to prep my own... I have personally collected, (bought and traded for unprepped examples ie.things I saw some potential in) and ended up with a very nice selection for my own collection...

• 3 weeks later...

Heres a little shell I been working on sat on a nice chunk of rock... My ambition is to become totally 'prep-free' and complete everything I have found over the last few years....and I reckon im within just over a year of achieving that if I can just stay away from the beaches...

post-1630-0-55721700-1297680753_thumb.jpg

Thanks...''Life is proportional'' ..sometimes a few collecting trips can equate to many hundreds of hours prepwork... I'm going to be even more chosey in what I carry off the beach in the future... at least until im ontop of it all...

post-1630-0-54210900-1297708601_thumb.jpg

Rubbish lighting for the photo's... I should of waited an hour...You can see what a mining operation this has been by the depth of the base....

post-1630-0-28566400-1297855137_thumb.jpg post-1630-0-62101400-1297855154_thumb.jpg

post-1630-0-33627400-1297855171_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terry Dactyll