Myriapod (Isopod) Tracks 300Myo - Plainville, Ma

dhk

Another unusual find of a trail of Myriapod (thought to be an Isopod) tracks, but found in a new location. These are bigger than the ones found in the usual local. The bug that made these was a giant among Myriapods (if that's saying somthing)as these are more than twice the usual size of these type of tracks. On average, the space between the left and right tracks on these are about an inch apart, with this big guy, the tracks are over three inches apart. Also preserved in a sandstone which is also very unusual, these are usually found only in fine siltstone. The new location I am working is giving up some very unique stuff. Going back tomorrow. This track is 4 inches long (which is long for one of these). They do not photograph to well but if you squint you can see the trail. The track is depressed about 1/8 inch into the substrate and the tracks are evenly spaced about 1/8 inch apart for the length of the trail. Possibly from Arthropleurida, the largest species, which may have grown to two meters in length.

post-3786-084141000 1286062638_thumb.jpg

post-3786-024105000 1286068498_thumb.jpg

Edited by dhk

Keep it coming, Ichnoman; I have a lot to learn :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i'm used to seeing tiny isopods in my aquarium. this guy must have been huge! do you have any literature/websites on mysopods?

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

i'm used to seeing tiny isopods in my aquarium. this guy must have been huge! do you have any literature/websites on mysopods?

If you google "isopod fossils" or "Myriapod fossils" you can get a lot of information, most of which is on living isopods. Sizes range from small pill bugs to large ocean living ones that can be a foot long to Arthropleurida, which got to two meters. Fossils are rare but have been found. I have found 13 sets of tracks this being the largest one. At my site no bodies have been found "YET", but I am still looking.

Edited by dhk

ahahhaa i see i fused the words isopod and myriopod by accident and i was so confused why i didnt get any results. silly me!

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

what other fossils are common in that formation? do you find vertebrates?

Mostly just tracks so far, lots of plant material, Calamites, Annularia some other stuff but I am very hopeful that if I follow enough tracks... Ya know.