Finally Got Out On The Rocks!

Caleb

After an entire month of no collecting, I finally got out. Today I decided to grab my father and go for a canoe trip down a river in Northeast Iowa. Being in the low to mid 50's it was a bit chilly, but once we started swinging the hammers we warmed up quickly. Our main goal for the day was to find trilobites, more specifically the elusive Isotelus iowensis. After about 30 minutes of breaking rock, we hit the jackpot with a mass mortality plate of I. iowensis. The slab is much bigger than the part we split, so who knows how many more I. iowensis are unseen... for now.

Here is the negative of the mass mortality plate. I didn't take a picture of the positive because it didn't look nearly as cool. Yet.

post-3840-031203600 1286067982_thumb.jpg

This is an exposure of the Maquoketa formation in a streem valley. We broke some of the smaller rocks there and found a few parts.

post-3840-049803300 1286068128_thumb.jpg

And here is the pretty colour of poison ivy. Kinda makes you want to have some in your garden. ;)

post-3840-076741400 1286068227_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caleb

That plate is fantastic. I'm glad to see you had a wonderful hunt. Your creek pict is wonderful and I love all the detail in the first pict. What camera do you use?

Edited by barefootgirl

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Thanks, it's alway exciting to find something like that. Especially when it's the first time finding something like that. :)

That plate is fantastic. I'm glad to see you had a wonderful hunt. Your creek pict is wonderful and I love all the detail in the first pict. What camera do you use?

I just used my cheap Olympus D-595 with the macro setting. I'm too worried about tipping the canoe with anything nicer. :)

Now that is crazy over the top cool. Congrats... Please photo the poss plate now and stop teasing us. lol

It's currently residing in my father's basement, but I will try to get over there tomorrow to snap a photo.

that is sooo sweet! i can't wait to see the positive!

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

Nice! You swept those right out from underneth my nose!

I have found only one Isotelus iowensis and it only has the tail segment exposed, and iis alot smaller then yours. But the werid thing about it was it wasnt even suppost to be there. :mellow:

I found it in a local quarry, and the rock it was in didnt match the rocks arround it. Acually it didnt even come close to the rocks around it. How it got there we may never know.

Sorry i broke into a random story again.

And again i love that trilo slabe. It would look totaly nice on a bookshelf or some thing! ^_^

-Frozen

Here is the negative of the mass mortality plate. I didn't take a picture of the positive because it didn't look nearly as cool. Yet.

>wow< :drooling 38:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

that is sooo sweet! i can't wait to see the positive!

ya! wow that would be amazing.... :wub:

as for the negative, well its still something! :)

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

That is just way too cool. Love it!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

I finally got over to my parents and took a photo of the positive. It's not very pretty right now but here it is. The trilobites that are visible range between 2" and 3". There is a lot of rock left to expose, so who knows how many more trilobites are under it. It is an exciting find!

Negative

post-3840-096262900 1286237921_thumb.jpg

Positive

post-3840-025392300 1286237960_thumb.jpg

Wow..only 30 mins of splitting rocks and you found that!!!, :wub::wub::wub: I've been splitting rocks for yrs and haven't found anything that awesome yet, great find for you and your Dad Caleb

I finally got over to my parents and took a photo of the positive. It's not very pretty right now but here it is. The trilobites that are visible range between 2" and 3". There is a lot of rock left to expose, so who knows how many more trilobites are under it. It is an exciting find!

Negative

post-3840-096262900 1286237921_thumb.jpg

Positive

post-3840-025392300 1286237960_thumb.jpg

That's gonna be a very nice piece! Take your time with the preparation! I think it's gonna be worth it.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/