Friday And Saturday Megalodon Tooth Dives

megateeth

I got out Friday and Saturday and did pretty well even though the vis was zero again. I was in one of my usual spots. Friday I just did just ok finding a few Megalodon Teeth. The current was strong Saturday so I decided to drop upriver from where I wanted to dive so I could drift over the area. My drop point was a muddy area that I never found anything in. When I dropped down I was surprised to be on an exposed fossil bed. Somehow it must have shifted recently. I started finding Megateeth right away. I did well on both dives. The first photo shows the 5 inch teeth all from Saturday. The next two show the nicer teeth from both days. I also found an assortment of chipped teeth which I did not photograph. The last photo is of a cool crocodilian jaw section. I thought it was just another bone until I felt the tooth on the end. I am excited to be going back today. Maybe there will be more.

post-1309-065871200 1286272325_thumb.jpg

post-1309-077028800 1286272333_thumb.jpg

post-1309-056746700 1286272341_thumb.jpg

post-1309-018557300 1286272348_thumb.jpg

oh thats awesome! :o

love that posterior meg. it must be gettin cold down there right?

thanks for posting.

Really nice Meg's never know when the river botton is going to change, looks like a do over.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Great finds, Bill! :wub:

Best of Luck Today! :D (like you need it!)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

sick finds (as usual)

fyi... might want to throw a coin (quarter) in the pictures to give your teefers some relative size.

that way I know how long I need to cry

(insert MEGACRY emoticon)

post-986-001929400 1286292531_thumb.jpg

lucky!

Those look realy nice! They make diving in deadly cooled water worth it.

-Frozen

The temp is coming down fast. Saturday it was 78 today it was 74 and I expect 60's next week. I did two dives today and the current was really ripping. The fastest tides are on the new moon and we are about there. Tides will be running at 9 feet by the weekend. I did two dives today but on the second dive the tide was running so fast I was being dragged around so I came up after an hour. I found four Megalodon teeth today, three over 5"!!! They are 5.95", 5.55 and 5.27". The tooth that looks like bait is 3.1". I get a lot of glare on this laptop so I can not tell if the photos are clear but you get the idea.

post-1309-048614700 1286301101_thumb.jpg

post-1309-098258100 1286301113_thumb.jpg

post-1309-099679700 1286301128_thumb.jpg

Edited by megateeth

wowzas i can't wait till i go to venice beach next year maybe depending if i can go to our house there

sick finds (as usual)

fyi... might want to throw a coin (quarter) in the pictures to give your teefers some relative size.

that way I know how long I need to cry

(insert MEGACRY emoticon)

post-986-001929400 1286292531_thumb.jpg

I think we need to add that one ;) LOL

Wonderful teeth as always :wub:

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Okay so I've seen a-lot of these great finds and have a good idea where your looking .. No worries of me crashing your dive sites for years. No boat, no gear, no scuba cert = no worries. Although I am working on the scuba cert this year.

I've know there must be millions of Meg teeth scattered offshore and inshore up and down the east coast.

My question remains. How do you know where these fossil beads occur. How do you research your dive locations.

Is it just chance? Trial and Error?

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

Those are too awsome for one dive. My close sites are all invert. sites. :(

post-1987-073279400 1286377546_thumb.jpg

Okay so I've seen a-lot of these great finds and have a good idea where your looking .. No worries of me crashing your dive sites for years. No boat, no gear, no scuba cert = no worries. Although I am working on the scuba cert this year.

I've know there must be millions of Meg teeth scattered offshore and inshore up and down the east coast.

My question remains. How do you know where these fossil beads occur. How do you research your dive locations.

Is it just chance? Trial and Error?

Where I live, the fossil beds seem to be at least 30 feed down. Al I do is dive every 30' + hole I find looking for teeth. I have dove over 200 spots in the area. I found fossils in about 15 of them and only five were really good spots worth going to year after year. But some of them are 50 yards long.

Where I live, the fossil beds seem to be at least 30 feed down. Al I do is dive every 30' + hole I find looking for teeth. I have dove over 200 spots in the area. I found fossils in about 15 of them and only five were really good spots worth going to year after year. But some of them are 50 yards long.

I figured it was trial and error and a bunch of patience combined with some detailed logging.

It will be some time. Perhaps a couple years before I will have the confidence to try diving in murky water in SC or NC. Probably be at least two years before I can do one of those 100foot dives for teeth in NC/SC on that shelf were teeth are really abundant. They must be since I doubt you can stay under for that long at that depth.

Edited by Megalodon_hunter

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

I got out Friday and Saturday and did pretty well even though the vis was zero again. I was in one of my usual spots. Friday I just did just ok finding a few Megalodon Teeth. The current was strong Saturday so I decided to drop upriver from where I wanted to dive so I could drift over the area. My drop point was a muddy area that I never found anything in. When I dropped down I was surprised to be on an exposed fossil bed. Somehow it must have shifted recently. I started finding Megateeth right away. I did well on both dives. The first photo shows the 5 inch teeth all from Saturday. The next two show the nicer teeth from both days. I also found an assortment of chipped teeth which I did not photograph. The last photo is of a cool crocodilian jaw section. I thought it was just another bone until I felt the tooth on the end. I am excited to be going back today. Maybe there will be more.

B)

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past