South Eastern Pa Concretions

redbrick

Just tonight, as I was thumbing through a "Fossils for Beginners" type book, I realized that my dad's farm is loaded with ironstone concretions. We always called them "goonies", an old PA Dutch word that basically means "fist sized to head sized rounded rock". I remember seeing a few that had been frost split, but never found fossils in them. To be honest, I never really looked that close. Did I pass up a "gold mine" as a kid? According to a PA Geologic map, it's Hamburg Formation Ordovician shales and siltstones.

Anybody ever collect fossils from concretions in this general region?

Edited by redbrick

Andy (redbrick)

"All living things do one of two things. They either grow, or they die. When they stop growing, they immediately start dying. The mind is also a living thing."

Redbrick,

I have not collected there, but there is only one way to find out for sure. ;)

Many times, concretions will not have a fossil inside, but sometimes they do.

Only way to tell for sure is to split a bunch of them.

Some people try to do it with a hammer. This can be brutal on the fossil if there is one.

Best way is to try to do a bunch of freeze/thaw cycles. Much gentler on a possible fossil.

Anyway, if you have access to an area that has them, I would definitely get a bunch and give it a try! :)

With winter approaching, there is no time like the present. :D

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Also if you go with the hammer approch you can always glued it back together, and then prep it. It sould work. Ive never done it, because I have never had the honor to find concretions.