Presbyornis Skeleton

ebrocklds

just thought you would all like to see one of my latest projects. it is an eocene presbyornis skeleton. a long legged duck. these are casts that will be going into the new utah museum of natural history next year.

Brock

post-37-031849700 1287324708_thumb.jpg

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Fantastic job :wub: . I don't suppose that a complete cast set was made...?

Is anyone looking into whether P. pervetus might represent more than one species?

I tweaked and flipped your pic:

post-423-033543800 1287326483_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Your good man! Thanks for sharing you wonderfulness with us. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Fantastic job :wub: . I don't suppose that a complete cast set was made...?

Is anyone looking into whether P. pervetus might represent more than one species?

I tweaked and flipped your pic:

post-423-033543800 1287326483_thumb.jpg

i made molds of the majority of the prepped out material that was curated at Loma Linda university in CA. the skull i 3-d scanned and used a computer guided mill to relicate then molded the prototype so that i didn't damage the super fragile original. sorry the pics are so blurry my good camera is in the shop for the moment. better pictures to follow of this and several others in different poses. Chas, did i get the anatomy right? toes? wings??

Brock

...did i get the anatomy right? toes? wings??

Four on each foot...two wings...yup. :P

The sequence of the phalanges in the feet looks good: 2 in digit #1 (hind toe), 3 in #2, 4 in #3, 5 in #4. That the longest phalanx is the innermost shows Presbyornis' affiliation with the Charadriiformes (shorebirds), and marks it as the transitional form it is (it was not all duck). I can't see whether you had the little scapholunars and cuneiforms that articulate the ulna and radius to the carpometacarpus, but if not, they won't be missed (very small/rarely preserved). I'm struck by how far the furculum (wish bone) sticks out; unless it must to articulate naturally, it seems a little odd. In most birds, it more nearly contacts the keel on the sternum (and in some, it connects).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Nice Presbyornis... but dang. I was hoping to put one up in our museum, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I don't think there are any skeletal mounts of Pres out there in any museum. Oh, yeah, we gotta go find one first.

here is another pic of a flying one this time. there will be 5-7 of these little guys in the new utah museum of natural history opening next year some time.

Brock

post-37-007226900 1287721631_thumb.jpg

Brock.... Very Nice.... hanks for sharing these images...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Please do remember to let us know when it opens! This I would go see :wub: