Sc Megalodon Teeth

fossilselachian

Guest N.AL.hunter

Very nice. I am hoping to find/get a matching pair for my collection so that I can show the front and back at the same time. Or I will use a mirror for one really good tooth.

WOW! Those are outstanding! Do all the teeth have that color from that river? They sure don't look like Cooper River teeth! At least not the ones I have found. Would like to see more pics of other teeth from there...where ever "there" is. lol

www.meghunter.net Apparel Fossils Equipment

WOW! Those are outstanding! Do all the teeth have that color from that river? They sure don't look like Cooper River teeth! At least not the ones I have found. Would like to see more pics of other teeth from there...where ever "there" is. lol

They look like they're freshly eroded teeth; probably the May River.

:) Great teeth they are so close to being identical they even have the stickers in nearly the same place.[sorry tracer is rubbing off on me]Seriously nice teeth .Congrats. :D

Bear-dog.

:) Great teeth they are so close to being identical they even have the stickers in nearly the same place.[sorry tracer is rubbing off on me]Seriously nice teeth .Congrats. :D

I got lucky - I'd forgotten all about "sticker symmetry" :rolleyes:

They look like they're freshly eroded teeth; probably the May River.

No, not the May River. They are from a river most divers ignore because overall the river is not recognized as a very productive site. However, a few productive areas do exist in the river and I've been fortunate to obtain some 20+ teeth from the river collected by a friend who actually lives on the river. It's certainly no "secret site" of mine but at the divers request I don't list the name of the river. I've been on the river and have seen some really nice teeth collected in the past.

• 7 months later...

No, not the May River. They are from a river most divers ignore because overall the river is not recognized as a very productive site. However, a few productive areas do exist in the river and I've been fortunate to obtain some 20+ teeth from the river collected by a friend who actually lives on the river. It's certainly no "secret site" of mine but at the divers request I don't list the name of the river. I've been on the river and have seen some really nice teeth collected in the past.

I often have folks ask me which river I find a certain tooth from. I know that it can add value since some folks like to have a specimen from each river. However, I have also wondered if it doesn't cause more attention on the river and thus more diving competition.

Meghunter: As per your request here are some additional megs from the same SC river site. I took the pics some time ago but neglected

to post them at the time.

FS

post-294-0-68399800-1307391909_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-81048600-1307391923_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-48151900-1307391947_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-68250300-1307391964_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-64771400-1307391977_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-46706800-1307391989_thumb.jpg

Wow those are some pretty teeth, Im shocked by there preservation! Most river teeth get darker in color. Did they just wash out of the formation or do they normally come out of the river like that?

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Meghunter: As per your request here are some additional megs from the same SC river site. I took the pics some time ago but neglected

to post them at the time.

FS

That top left one is incredible. Is there any chance of getting more photos?

Wow those are some pretty teeth, Im shocked by there preservation! Most river teeth get darker in color. Did they just wash out of the formation or do they normally come out of the river like that?

If you've been following Sanzviz and his diver partner's auction recently, you might have noticed that they've been pulling up a lot of megs with unique, paler colours from the Morgan River. I'm not sure if it's the water impurities, a very recent exposure of the formation, or a point in the formation that wasn't penetrated by ground water. Either way, they're some pretty teeth (1 and 2). I've also seen this in a lot of teeth from the Ace River Basin (3).

post-1261-0-16239000-1307509918_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-96287900-1307509945_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-91871100-1307510001_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-13152200-1307510032_thumb.jpg

No, not all the teeth that come from this site are as colorful. Some are the "typical" black (root and crown) associated with river teeth. Others exhibit multiple but darker colors as exhibited by the attached photo.

I can only guess as to why some are so colorful: exposure time on river bottom (how recently eroded from original site of deposition), water chemistry, conditions existing during the long period of burial, etc.

Actually it's been my experience that just about any SC river can produce the lighter colored teeth - it's just that some may produce more than others.

post-294-0-75174600-1307561332_thumb.jpg

That top left one is incredible. Is there any chance of getting more photos?

Tim:

As requested: Attached is the same tooth in labial aspect.

FS

post-294-0-93456900-1307561478_thumb.jpg

Tim:

As requested: Attached is the same tooth in labial aspect.

FS

Thanks for the photo, it really is a lovely tooth. I can't think of another river tooth with a white bourlette.