2 Questions Re Arkona

FossilDAWG

I have family in London ON, which allows me to visit Arkona every couple of years. I always end up driving past the South pit to collect at the North pit, or cross the river to get to the cliff. Once I drove around to see if I could figure out how to access the South pit, but noticed only fencing until I arrived at what seemed to be a private drive on the Western side of the pit. Could anyone tell me where to park and how to access the pit? The attached picture is from the fossilguy web site.

post-528-093777700 1287628731_thumb.jpg

Secondly, I have a number of crinoids that split through the specimen, so some of the arms are on one piece of "shale" (clay is more accurate), and other arms are on the counterpart. Is there a technique for putting these together so the crinoid can be prepped out? I haven't had much luck gluing the slabs together as the "shale" just disaggregates. Admittedly I have only tried water-based glues such as diluted Elmers white glue. Any advice would be appreciated.

Don

For parking, the person who owns the house doesn't mind if you park off to the side near the gate for the south pit. As you said, the gate is on the west side. You can't drive in, but you can walk in from there. You can also make your way to the river from there, walk through some shrubs and follow the riverbank to get to the collecting area if you don't feel like wading through from the north pit

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Secondly, I have a number of crinoids that split through the specimen, so some of the arms are on one piece of "shale" (clay is more accurate), and other arms are on the counterpart. Is there a technique for putting these together so the crinoid can be prepped out? I haven't had much luck gluing the slabs together as the "shale" just disaggregates. Admittedly I have only tried water-based glues such as diluted Elmers white glue. Any advice would be appreciated.

Don

Northern is correct about accessing the south pit. However, I hear that they dug in the north pit just recently and that may actually be better. I am driving past the spot today and will stop to check it out.

As for your crinoids. First of all, NEVER use anything water based on the Arkona Formation. It just turns everything to mud. Even so, I have yet to figure out a way to repair what you have described. It is best to find a crinoid with just a small portion poking out and take the whole piece to work it out. Some of the best crinoids I have from there were discovered that way.

crinus

:) As far as glues go,get a poor quality specimen and experiment.Try super glues.Gorilla glue comes to mind but others sometimes dis-agree.At any rate experimenting is the way to go.If it works your happy,if it dosen't there is no real loss. :D

Bear-dog.

id go with your regular super glue. And if you mess up with it, it can be removed with a bit of nail polish remover or acetone

As for your crinoids. First of all, NEVER use anything water based on the Arkona Formation. It just turns everything to mud. Even so, I have yet to figure out a way to repair what you have described. It is best to find a crinoid with just a small portion poking out and take the whole piece to work it out. Some of the best crinoids I have from there were discovered that way.

crinus

How about setting the fossil in polymerized polyester resin and then followed by air abrasion?

Wanna see what happens to the Arkona formation shale once it gets wet?

Before water you can see a partially pyritized Bactrites and a pyritized worm trail.

post-1408-026000200 1287701777_thumb.jpg

And here is after I quickly splashed it in a bucket of water and then took it out b/c I thought I could clean it up a bit.

post-1408-027289800 1287701944_thumb.jpg

Side view of the once solid shale

post-1408-047276500 1287701969_thumb.jpg

I'm glad it wasn't something I really wanted!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Good demo Shamalama.... should save a few collectors from heartaches.

PL

Edited by pleecan

Thanks all for the info. I haven't got plans to get to Arkona in the near future, but when I do I'll have the option to try the south pit. I'd really like to meet up with some more Forum members too, all the people I've met to date have been great.

Unfortunately I learned that the Arkona shale and water don't mix (or rather, mix too well) the first time I visited there. I now have two nice partially pyritized Corocrinus calyxes that once had the stem and arms attached before my ill-conceived attempt to prep them with a damp toothbrush.

Don