What Is The Nodule Part Of A Shark Coprolite In A Nodule?

fullofqs

I was looking at various fossil websites to familiarize myself with fossils that may be found and saw some photos of dissected shark coprolites encased in some sort of nodule. I have been unable to find a description that explains what the nodules are made of or were originally made of. Some of these photos can be seen on this site: www.fossilsdirect.co.uk. They surely are pretty considering what they are! Note: It may be a few days before I can get back to this topic, so thank you in advance for any and all explanations you provide!!!

Edited by fullofqs

Nodules like that form around organic remains when conditions are right for the chemicals in the remains to lithify the surrounding sediment.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Attached is a picture of a couple of beautifully preserved shark coprolites I collected from the Upper Cretaceous of British Columbia, Canada. These ones were found in mudstone and came out nicely from the matrix. I have also seen them in calcareous concretions (nodules) but they almost always "blow" apart when you crack them open with a hammer. They seem to be composed of some sort of chalky phosphatic material.

post-2848-009634900 1288019699_thumb.jpg

Geodigger.... Fair point, its probably why they are left encased within the nodule and a cross section polished.... I had a look on the website they are polished up to almost 'coprolite Jewellery' ...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

fullofqs.... They say a picture tells a 1000 words.... I knew I had one knocking about somewhere and you can see the coprolite in the middle of the rock... The rock is what is called the nodule.... Things like this I keep 'one for the record' from any particular exposure I'm collecting...What you have seen is an end section through one of these polished....

post-1630-080588000 1288091410_thumb.jpg post-1630-052934900 1288091480_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)