The Crinoid Heads!

frozen_turkey

Here are a few crinoids that i have found this month over three different trips to the same genral area. I have little experiance with crinoid heads and if there isnt one then i would apriciate it if you would point it out. Most of them have a head, but the the others im really fishy on. So id love the help!

and here is some basic info.

location - Coralville, IA

age - Middle Devonian

Speicies - Crinoid.......obviously B)

post-2572-010209000 1288049308_thumb.jpgpost-2572-051973400 1288049321_thumb.jpgpost-2572-025415600 1288049355_thumb.jpgpost-2572-081144000 1288049379_thumb.jpg

To be continued........

Edited by frozen_turkey

post-2572-089077500 1288049459_thumb.jpgpost-2572-047561000 1288049477_thumb.jpgpost-2572-002190000 1288049494_thumb.jpgpost-2572-069274100 1288049507_thumb.jpgpost-2572-043625100 1288049526_thumb.jpg

And sorry if the pics are a bit blurry. My camera is having issues again.

Also how would one go about preping these? Sould i wait untill i can aford an air abraiting unit, or attack them with my needle tool and engraver?

-Frozen

Edited by frozen_turkey

Good finds. Looks like tough prep though...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

He he! I love Crinoids and I love the Devonian. Looks like you have some prep work on a few of those. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Here's what I see.

The 2nd picture has some kind of coral or something that looks really interesting.

The 4th pic looks like it has some broken apart calyx pieces at the right end of the curved stem.

2nd post, 3rd pic, the small rock looks like another broken apart calyx. That one looks quite interesting.

2nd post, 4th pic has something going on above your thumb. Not sure what.

Looks like a good hunting spot.

Here's what I see.

The 2nd picture has some kind of coral or something that looks really interesting.

The 4th pic looks like it has some broken apart calyx pieces at the right end of the curved stem.

2nd post, 3rd pic, the small rock looks like another broken apart calyx. That one looks quite interesting.

2nd post, 4th pic has something going on above your thumb. Not sure what.

Looks like a good hunting spot.

Thanks for the help!

And with the first pic you talked about (1st post 2nd pic) look below the black bryozoin. There is a small head with the arms! :)

O i forgot to tell you guys about the last one you metioned (4th pic 2nd post). It is a vary large (and uncommonly rare) calyx. I show it to a ranger when i passed through the fossil gourge. And she said its near the top of the list (record), but sence they dont keep records of sizes i will never know.

-Frozen

Edited by frozen_turkey

Gotta love the Reservoir! I miss hunting around the res and Lake McBride.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

wow! frozen, sites just dont get better then that! i love outcrops like that, congrats on the finds also!

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

Gotta love the Reservoir! I miss hunting around the res and Lake McBride.

I love this place to and i live only 45 min away from the res, so i try to get down here every other week.....no mater how cold ;)

And better yet i love how the sites are "hiden" so to speak. the sides of the exposures are too steep to see from google earth. And if you were up the hill from them you cant see them. If you didnt know about them preveusly you would have to get to them using a boat.

But if anyone wants to go hunting sometime ill be happy to show you guys arround.

And thanks for all of the commplements!! I still have know idea how to handle the prep with these guys and im too scared to even look at them with a needle tool in my hand..........

-Frozen

I would like to make an update on one of the crinods (1st post 2nd photo). I found a tooth on the slab!!!!!!! :blink: Along with what apears to be scale or bone fragments!!! :blink::blink::o

I spoted them while preping the crinoid head. I couldnt beleive my eye until i saw it under i disecting microscope (basicly a glorified magnefying glass). And better yet you can just make them out in the photo i posted, here is one with the bits circled.

key:

Yellow - tooth

Red - Bone and/or scale frags

Black - Uncertin

post-2572-096435600 1288241940_thumb.jpg

And just off the pic and on the back of the rock there seems to be some big cunks of bone or "armor plate"

aaaaaaahhhhhhh this is so cool...

:Bananasaur: :meg dance: :Bananasaur:

-Frozen

Edited by frozen_turkey

FT.... Nice finds and what a spot to collect... Is the 'twisty ' one circled in black a small shell of some description...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

FT.... Nice finds and what a spot to collect... Is the 'twisty ' one circled in black a small shell of some description...

Thats what im thinking. Im going to be researching and asking around about the tooth and "bone/scale" fragments like crazy this weekend. So ill be sure to keep you guys updated.

Also there is good news. armored/bony fish have been found in the genral area of the site, but i found only 1 or 2 have ever been reported. So im assuming its safe to say its rare.

-Frozen