My Sharktoothill Finds

Megalodon1

So I accomplished my dream of finding Shark teeth for the very first time in my life.

I was like a kid at the candy store, or lets just call it heaven for one day. I would love to stay longer than 1 day, but boy did I burn myself out, never worked so hard in my life, the face mask :hot: did not help either! Here's what I found folks!

post-319-061791700 1288066647_thumb.jpg

Edited by Megalodon1

Here's a bunch of bones. forgot to put something for scaling the size, but the largest vert is like 7 inches across.

post-319-029564700 1288068711_thumb.jpg

Edited by Megalodon1

The 2 in the middle look like tiny whale teeth, I think. The one on the very right is some type of ear bone. The rest look like little verts.

post-319-046511700 1288068864_thumb.jpg

Yeah, you will be rewarded for hard work in the bonebed. It is my favorite place to collect.

Even on a relatively warm day, a mask got too uncomfortable for me in a short time on my first couple of trips so I took it off and haven't gone back to one since the early 90's. I've tried to stay upwind of anyone kicking up a lot of dust and haven't dug into any deep pits where you're boxing yourself in with your own dust. Of course, that guaranteed me nothing so I've been lucky also so far.

So I accomplished my dream of finding Shark teeth for the very first time in my life.

I was like a kid at the candy store, or lets just call it heaven for one day. I would love to stay longer than 1 day, but boy did I burn myself out, never worked so hard in my life, the face mask did not help either! Here's what I found folks!

That's a cool matrix piece (tooth with bone). You don't find one like that on every trip so that's a good find for your first time. Occasionally, you get one with more than one tooth and some bone pieces.

Front view of Matrix

Megalodon1.... Great finds.... The tooth in matrix is special....you can beat a stand that nature provided...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Very nice M1 .. brought home some nice verts I see. One thing that's always surprised me is how few people actually pick up the whale verts. The reason why there are so many of them laying around in the quarry is simply because people tend to not take those home (possibly because of the weight they have to carry back tot he cars). But if you spend some time collecting a nice series and fitting them to make a partial string they csn make a fantastic display piece.

Wow, you traveled a long way to go collecting there. You did very well. The tooth in the bone is a great one. Nice verts, too.

Super nice finds, like the tooth and bones, nice when the long drive pays off.--Tom

Edited by Foshunter

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

It was a love story :wub: for me that day! I know I did not find a Meg, but I'm thankful for what I did pull out. Actually getting to meet some of the elite members of this forum, putting a picture to the name was something else!

I even made it into the paper, the second guy in the pic sifting is the one and only "Megalodon1". It is a shame the lady's can't see how handsome he is when he's in action huntin :IMHO:! Here's the link to the article below!

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/local/x1902611810/Bone-buffs-dig-chance-to-explore-Shark-Tooth-Hill

Edited by Megalodon1

Does anyone know if anybody found a Meg during the course of the 3 day dig?

I heard nobody did. Sunday while I was their some broken parts were found.

At the end of the day the guys to my left found the back 2 or 3 verts and the tail of a Tuna. Bob had only found a few his entire time digging so it was a big find for them. The museum should have it now. I feel bad for you that come and dont live here. I use a mask if its bad dusty, but most of us have been exposed to the fever since young with no real issues, seems you out of towners get it the worse. Just to let you guys know, Ive got about 10 people I know personally that within the last 5 years got it, and never have dug for fossils or go on that side of town even. Met a guy digging Sunday who got it in Mexico and had a portion of lung removed, says he feels like nothing ever happened. You just never know.

Anyways,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,your going to snarge when you see my matrix tooth I found, I thought you hade a pic of mine, can you believe it lol? You will see by Thursday. I love the verts but I was only their for the one day and was just focused on teeth and a good time this time around. Great set of verts you found though. I only took one home.Now that I got a closer look at your matrix, I realized its a big bone, mine is not like that, just matrix with some bone in it and the tooth. Anyways, great finds bud.

Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable is my mentor.

I have to agree, the tooth is the bone is fantastic. A dream find. Thanks for letting us see it.

What's crazy is that this piece was so close to being tossed out with all the other debris from the sifter up until I luckily saw only a very small portion of the root exposed, after an hour or so of prepping/cleaning out all the dirt and stuff this was what emerged.

Is the tooth stuck in the bone due to feeding?

Not sure, but it sure does look cool.

Edited by Megalodon1

Looking at it again, that matrix might not have a bone in it - could be a tooth in a chunk of hard matrix eroded to an odd shape. It could be a silt coating on bone but I'm not sure now. If it is, the tooth may be just pressed against it rather than stuck in bone.

Is the tooth stuck in the bone due to feeding?

That gives us all an idea of how rare megalodon is in the bonebed. On Friday there were about 50 people digging and maybe 80 on Saturday. I don't know how many on Sunday but if it was at least 30, that's the equivalent of 160 collecting trips for one person without finding a complete meg. Bob Ernst used to find a good one (near-complete to complete) approximately every 30-45 trips (maybe 10 per year- sometimes averaging one per month).

I heard nobody did. Sunday while I was their some broken parts were found.

At the end of the day the guys to my left found the back 2 or 3 verts and the tail of a Tuna. Bob had only found a few his entire time digging so it was a big find for them. The museum should have it now. I feel bad for you that come and dont live here. I use a mask if its bad dusty, but most of us have been exposed to the fever since young with no real issues, seems you out of towners get it the worse. Just to let you guys know, Ive got about 10 people I know personally that within the last 5 years got it, and never have dug for fossils or go on that side of town even. Met a guy digging Sunday who got it in Mexico and had a portion of lung removed, says he feels like nothing ever happened. You just never know.

Anyways,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,your going to snarge when you see my matrix tooth I found, I thought you hade a pic of mine, can you believe it lol? You will see by Thursday. I love the verts but I was only their for the one day and was just focused on teeth and a good time this time around. Great set of verts you found though. I only took one home.Now that I got a closer look at your matrix, I realized its a big bone, mine is not like that, just matrix with some bone in it and the tooth. Anyways, great finds bud.

Yes, you should at least look over any large vertebrae you see because some have shark teeth stuck to them. I always pick up a few especially if they still have parts of the processes intact.

Very nice M1 .. brought home some nice verts I see. One thing that's always surprised me is how few people actually pick up the whale verts. The reason why there are so many of them laying around in the quarry is simply because people tend to not take those home (possibly because of the weight they have to carry back tot he cars). But if you spend some time collecting a nice series and fitting them to make a partial string they csn make a fantastic display piece.

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

Does anyone know if anybody found a Meg during the course of the 3 day dig?

There were at least 2 found Saturday that I know of, One was found by the person I brought, about 3 inches and he did not tell me or show me until a few days after we got home. I will never take him to these bone beds again due to hiding his finds from everyone including me! I believe in sharing my finds and showing the people who showed him where to dig and how. Not a person I want digging with me!!

Bigeagle

You guys mentioned a tooth stuck in bone; is that by chance the Isurus hastalis matrix specimen? Because I don't see any actual bone in the photos, it just looks like a tooth embedded in a nodule. Bobby