Florida Jaw

Cris

Alright, guys. Wanted to show something I found the other day on the Forum, but I figured I'd make you guys guess what it is first. Certain people aren't allowed to guess (you know who you are!), but others are welcome to Google or do whatever to figure out what it is. It should be pretty easy with the pics I'm attaching.

post-1553-035023800 1288118354_thumb.jpgpost-1553-068645700 1288118358_thumb.jpgpost-1553-059168600 1288118369_thumb.jpg

-Cris

PS: Not bison.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

I wanna guess!! :) but i can't :(...i'm one of those certain ppl :)

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Hear that sound? No? Put your ear to the ground. Yeah, that sound--the vibrations coming through the earth. They will be here soon. By the tens of thousands. Minibison!

:D

That's a visual.

folx that ain't no rodent jaw. that's an artiodactyl jaw for dang sure. a weensey one. a capromeryxly weensey one, i'm hoping. don't think fetal mini-microbisons were fully dentitioned by that size.

woulda been.......<drumroll, puhlease....wait for it!>

edentulous

:mellow:

capromeryx

You got it. A very, very young Capromeryx. I found it in a 5 gallon bucket of material I scooped out of a site I like to dive. Although I've seen isolated teeth, bones and horn cores posted on the forum, I can't remember a jaw section. I thought you guys might like to see it.

Also found this isolated tooth the other day.

post-1553-000120100 1288133265_thumb.jpg

Tiny critter! About the size of a Dik-dik. Prolly would have made a nice pet!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Cris, don't I have one of those teeth? B)B)B):)

Yep, though there was a little debate as to whether or not it was the Blancan Capromeryx or a modern goat. I still say Capromeryx on it.

I know most of you guys have seen reconstructed deer legs, but have you ever seen one from a capromeryx? (besides the time I posted a bad pic of this one when I didn't have all the bones)

post-1553-068816500 1288139473_thumb.jpg

The tip of the left hoof was damaged and healed when the animal was alive. I love fossils that tell a story! You can just see the little thing running for its life away from this:post-1553-014919400 1288139832_thumb.jpg, trying to leap over a log and smacking the tip of its hoof against it.

So, Smarty Pants Members (not too smarty parts..certain people are still exempt from all this)...What is the bone in the second pic from? I've already given a great hint.

So, Smarty Pants Members (not too smarty parts..certain people are still exempt from all this)...What is the bone in the second pic from? I've already given a great hint.

a pelvisaurus?

You got it. A very, very young Capromeryx. I found it in a 5 gallon bucket of material I scooped out of a site I like to dive. Although I've seen isolated teeth, bones and horn cores posted on the forum, I can't remember a jaw section. I thought you guys might like to see it.

Also found this isolated tooth the other day.

post-1553-000120100 1288133265_thumb.jpg

Excellent find, Cris!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

No takers on the ilium, eh? I didn't know what it was when I found it either... Nor did the paleontologists at the museum. We had to go down and compare it to their collections to figure it out.

There is a modern animal alive today that is adapted to catching and eating an animal similar to a Capromeryx (well, another kind of antilocaprid, at least).

Cheetah?!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You guys got it. Miracinonyx, the "American Cheetah". What's interesting is that its believed they weren't related to true cheetahs at all. They just evolved in a similar way to hunt a similar kind of prey (convergent evolution).