5 Or 6+ Inch Megs? Meh... Dime A Dozen...

hokiehunter

It takes real talent, skill, and luck to find the small ones (at least that is what I keep telling myself). Haven't been out much lately and when I have gone it hasn't been particularly noteworthy but this little guy somehow caught my eye today. My brain may be mush but at least I know my eyes still work. If anyone has a smaller meg I'd love to see it. Maybe start a new less than 1/2 inch meg club ala the boards 3 inch+ Mako club :P ?

post-2363-019596300 1289066614_thumb.jpg

post-2363-044576500 1289066629_thumb.jpg

Edited by hokiehunter

HA Ha, love it! Those are the first I've ever seen. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Maybe a little smaller. :)

Ha! Love it. You've got me beat Gizmo. I pass the club presidency on to you!

It takes real talent, skill, and luck to find the small ones (at least that is what I keep telling myself). Haven't been out much lately and when I have gone it hasn't been particularly noteworthy but this little guy somehow caught my eye today. My brain may be mush but at least I know my eyes still work. If anyone has a smaller meg I'd love to see it. Maybe start a new less than 1/2 inch meg club ala the boards 3 inch+ Mako club :P ?

Nice!!!

That one is huge next to the ones I find. Mine are so small you can't even see them with the naked eye. lol Lookin good though. Perhaps these are Meg seeds, just add a little water and... well, ya know.

Edited by dhk

WOW! I thought my 3 meg posterior teeth where small. You win!!

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

Ya you know we do not see many small megs and yet I would really like to see more of them and would not mind finding some myself. ;):)

The best days are spent collecting fossils

My wife was happy that I took my shark teeth display to work, so I can't take a pic of my little ones.

I have a couple few completes that are almost exactly 1" (the nicest of which is in my avatar), and several damaged ones that are closer to your size. I'll take some pictures later and apply for membership :P

Edited by Serack

• 2 months later...

These little megs seem to be about the only whole megs I can find. Nice one there!

Here are my two lit'lins -

post-2469-0-34404400-1295974811_thumb.jpg

These little megs seem to be about the only whole megs I can find. Nice one there!

Here are my two lit'lins -

post-2469-0-34404400-1295974811_thumb.jpg

Where there are little megs like that.. There must be REALLY REALLY big megs nearby.

I'm thinking those are teeth that are developing inside the jaw.. That haven't grown to full size yet.

What would you call a tooth that is developing behind the other teeth?

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

Where there are little megs like that.. There must be REALLY REALLY big megs nearby.

I'm thinking those are teeth that are developing inside the jaw.. That haven't grown to full size yet.

What would you call a tooth that is developing behind the other teeth?

They are usually called replacement teeth.

Actually as the shark grows, the replacement teeth grow larger. So each replacement tooth still in the jaw is slightly larger than the tooth in front, i.e., the one that it is replacing. The roots of the teeth are formed last, so as you go further back in the replacement teeth, the root is less and less completely formed until all you have are hollow, chalky, rootless teeth. Let's say you have the first 3 or 4 teeth in a row which are complete, the front tooth (biting tooth) will be the smallest, and the next will be slightly larger and the next slightly larger, etc. This makes sense as the teeth are getting larger as the shark is growing older.

These tiny teeth are from infant megs. Sharks separate by size/age. When a shark gives birth, the babies immediately head for the shallows so they don't become dinner treats and they can feed on appropriate size fish. The big sharks stay in deeper water where they can feed on appropriate sized food (whales). So what you end up with are virtually all small meg teeth from infant megs with the very rare occasional tooth from an adult mother. Once the mother drops the babies, it immediately departs so doesn't have a lot of opportunity to drop teeth in the area. However, when I say shallows the infants are still 6+ feet long so they are not hanging out in 2 feet of water either.

Nice baby megs guys!

I have a few myself I will share once my privilages for posting pictures is given to me.

Im a new Member here and I am happy I found a forum about fossils!

Sorry but I may have to steal your thunder with this tiny meg from Gainesville lol

No thunder stolen at all. I'm just happy to see this thread revived a bit. I enjoy seeing the really tiny megs as much as the big ones so it's nice I have something smaller yet to still search for. Awesome stuff.

Hi,

I don't think these little teeth were the replacement ones.

In a selachian jaw, you have several kinds of teeth.

In Carcharodon carcharias (recent species, but the closest of meg) jaw, the bigger teeth are in the front of, and on each side there are commissurales teeth (near the corner). The more you look towards corners, and the teeth are smaller.

If your small teeth were growing, they would have no beautiful roots like that, because it is the last part of the tooth that forms.

Here are 2 pics I found a few years ago, about a Carcharodon carcharias jaw and commissural teeth from this species.

carcha11.jpg

On this pic, you can see the big teeth on the right side, and the little ones near the corner.

carcha12.jpg

Here, the second one is broken, but you can see little teeth near the corner too.

If you do not know what look like commissurales teeth of a meg, you will never guess that they belong to this species !

See this thread about the position of the teeth of selachians, and their differences.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/10818-heterorodontie-of-selachians/page__p__124122__hl__heterodonty__fromsearch__1#entry124122

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think we can include Chubutensis in this club as well right? If so, here is my little guy:

post-3347-0-56053900-1297305275_thumb.jpg

"There is no difference between Zen and Purgatory and Time Warner Cable, and they are trying to tach me this, but I am a dim impatient pupil."

----- xonenine

• 6 months later...

No big megs in my collection; however have a nice small one.

This is my "best" meg.

post-986-0-50937600-1313594678_thumb.jpg

That thar is a beaut!!