Camping In Gainesville.

Mango

My family wants to go camping on Thanksgiving weekend. I thought that Gainesville is about the right distance from my house, and would make a good family trip. None of my household have been there before.

Can anyone make any recommendations, good or bad, for a campground in the area. We will be tenting, but like to have access to showers etc. Not interested in an R/V type place with sites inches from each other. I have loud kids that need some room to vent.

I realize it is cutting it close for reservations, but would like to try.

My thoughts are to check out the museum, campus, and then maybe get some time to explore some creeks.

Thanks.

Chuck.

Pentax Optio W60

My family wants to go camping on Thanksgiving weekend...

You know you have a cool family, don't you?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You know you have a cool family, don't you?

I do. Thank you.

If this works out, we could camp at Christmas time, and totally avoid a house full of guests, and a pile of MIC toys.

If it helps gain suggestions, I have a small boat, and kayaks that could be brought on the trip. We like the water.

Pentax Optio W60

why dont you guys just camp in my yard chuck. i live about 40 minutes south of gainesville. at least you know the showers clean. :P

Edited by Guest

why dont you guys just camp in my yard chuck. i live about 40 minutes south of gainesville. at least you know the showers clean. :P

I will consider that, and appreciate the offer. Thanks. I know my family is going to lean towards a campground. We just got back from camping in someones yard for an off road event. It was great fun, but a campground eliminates the feeling of imposing.

For sure we should stop by. I have a box of goodies for you.

Pentax Optio W60

There is a campground in Alachua just off I-75. N.AL Hunter has been there.. I cannot remember the name..

~Mike

All your fossils are belong to us

I was going to say why not try camping up here, but then it snowed again

I had another think and say that would be one heck of a drive

But any time you want to make it up here, just do it:P

Yeah but your bathroom is full of fossils being washed

I was going to say why not try camping up here, but then it snowed again

I had another think and say that would be one heck of a drive

But any time you want to make it up here, just do it:P

I will make it up there sometime. I have relatives in Olds. It will be a different time of year though, I don't care for the cold.

Pentax Optio W60

and chuck, the offer still stands. im on a ten acre piece of property here, with a couple of cleared areas that would be perfect for camping. just let me know my friend.

Oleno state park is a great place to camp and lots of cool things to see there. The Santa Fe river runs through it and your just 20+ min from Gainesville. There is a canoe outpost about 5 miles from the park so check it out. B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

That is the kind of place I am looking for. Unfortunately my plans will have to be for Thanksgiving next year. We left our planning 'til too late. Holiday weekend at the beginning of snowbird season in FL, makes for full campgrounds.

After discussing the options with my family, we have decided to stay home, save money, and maybe do an excursion on the Peace River.

For the remainder of the day, I will be cursing those R/V owners that pull into beautiful campgrounds and hide inside for their entire stay. There are pasture R/V parks all over the state for that kind of activity. To me they are taking up space that could be used by someone that appreciates and wants to make full use of their surroundings. I have camped next to this type of R/V'er before. Some don't even need firewood, and don't have chairs to sit outside. They did book their plans well in advance though.

Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations.

Mango.

Pentax Optio W60

It is still labeled as a lordpiney box of treasures. I will keep it until you get down here, or vice versa. Mail works too, but it would be better if we got to meet and hunt somewhere to do the exchange. I haven't discovered any new spots or digs down here in a while. I am now suffering from fossiling and fishing depression.

Pentax Optio W60