Does Any One Have Fossils From Brandon Bridge Formation To Show?

pleecan

I was curious if any one has fossils from Brandon Bridge Formation Wisconsin / Silurian Biota that they can share and post.

Seemed like a very intersting place to hunt at one time ... soft bodied preservation the Largerstatte site is no more when they dynamited it.

PL

I was curious if any one has fossils from Brandon Bridge Formation Wisconsin / Silurian Biota that they can share and post.

Seemed like a very intersting place to hunt at one time ... soft bodied preservation the Largerstatte site is no more when they dynamited it.

PL

They dynamited a soft-bodied Lagerstatte???

Yes... this was told to me by a member of ROM excavation team.... but some material did survive and was collected before the layer was blown up..... it is more common than you think... every day millions of fossils end up in crusher destined as cement or paving gravel... this also happened to another Lagerstatte that I am aware of... so as fossil collectors we are saving a microslice of natural history... .

Yes... this was told to me by a member of ROM excavation team.... but some material did survive and was collected before the layer was blown up..... it is more common than you think... every day millions of fossils end up in crusher destined as cement or paving gravel... this also happened to another Lagerstatte that I am aware of... so as fossil collectors we are saving a microslice of natural history... .

True. I know fossils are routinely crushed, I kinda saw it happen in Exshaw Alberta, as I collected Mississippian fossils by the roadside, the trucks were going by one after another to and from the nearby cement plant.

Then there's the Cretaceous plant site 45mins away from here that was uncovered by a highway being put in.. there was quite a rescue operation going on there by local fossil people - they would have ALL gone in the crusher if a bulldozer operator hadn't noticed the giant palm frond in one chunk and put it aside.

I could go on and on..

But you'd think there would be some sort of law protecting Lagerstatten?? Like there is at Burgess and all the other well-known ones? -If you can call that protection, when all the 'lesser' grade /'common' fossils at Burgess, for instance, are thrown down the hill to be disintegrated by the weather because the ROM doesn't need them... (also first-hand knowledge) Oh don't get me started!

I could go on and on..

But you'd think there would be some sort of law protecting Lagerstatten?? Like there is at Burgess and all the other well-known ones? -If you can call that protection, when all the 'lesser' grade /'common' fossils at Burgess, for instance, are thrown down the hill to be disintegrated by the weather because the ROM doesn't need them... (also first-hand knowledge) Oh don't get me started!

A lot of time Lagerstatte are discovered by accident and the operators of quarries have a business to run and a lot of times commercial interest wins out unfortunately vs science interests.

Edited by pleecan

I had a dalmanites trilobite from Brandon Bridge but traded it off a few years back. I have seen a few other pieces over the years but it is quite scarce.

A lot of time Lagerstatte are discovered by accident and the operators of quarries have a business to run and a lot of times commercial interest wins out unfortunately vs science interests.

I know, and I hate to think of how many new sites have not even been disclosed because the business doesnt want any interference from gov't or otherwise.

Does anyone have the following publication:

the Rocks and Minerals magazine article on the Brandon Bridge stuff - it's in the November/December issue of 1986 has a good article by the founder of the Lagerstatte.

PL

Edited by pleecan

Looks like not very much out there... D of ROM sent me his files on Brandon Bridge..... the formation must have lasted only in a passing moment in time then was no more... blown to bits... forever lost.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have a digital copy of the 1985 Mikulic et. al paper on the Brandon Bridge fauna? And would they be willing to send me a copy?

Cheers!

I think this is the one...

A New Exceptionally Preserved Biota from the Lower

Silurian of Wisconsin, U.S.A.,

D. G. Mikulic, D. E. G. Briggs and Joanne Kluessendorf PDF

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

I think this is the one...

A New Exceptionally Preserved Biota from the Lower

Silurian of Wisconsin, U.S.A.,

D. G. Mikulic, D. E. G. Briggs and Joanne Kluessendorf PDF

Thanks for posting the link.... It was Quarryrat that inspired this thread base on previous discussions.

Giving credit where credit is due...