Fossil Human Skull Fragment

sjaak

Hello,

This year I found this little piece of human skull (North sea, Netherlands). It is fossilised, even more fossilised then the normal late pleistocene finds of the location. However, I read of cases of quick mineralization of North sea fossils in certain sediments (even within 10,000 years).

I have contacted local experts. They suggested to C14 date the piece, however this means partial or complete destruction. The piece is probably from a modern human (because of the more complex meningeal vessel pattern in the inside). I could be interesting if it is older then 30,000 years. I still wonder what to do. If there is no research we will never know, however if there is research I may lose the piece and there is a chance that it is not scientifically interesting after all. Does anyone no of less destructive ways to determine the age?

Best regards,

Niels

post-4293-035912000 1289508824_thumb.jpg

post-4293-012383000 1289508834_thumb.jpg

post-4293-083927200 1289508841_thumb.jpg

post-4293-046008200 1289508849_thumb.jpg

post-4293-001211500 1289508857_thumb.jpg

post-4293-028954100 1289508865_thumb.jpg

>Sounds expensive<

An excerpt from the linked article:

"..."non-destructive carbon dating," eliminates sampling, the destructive acid-base washes, and burning. In the new method, scientists place an entire artifact in a special chamber with a plasma, an electrically charged gas similar to gases used in big-screen plasma television displays. The gas slowly and gently oxidizes the surface of the object to produce carbon dioxide for C-14 analysis without damaging the surface..."

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

@ Xiphactinus: The human skull is very typical because it is big and because of it's curve. Also the vein patern is typical. See this link for info in better English: http://www.statemuseum.arizona.edu/crservices/human_animal_bone.shtml Anyway,I have had this ID-ed by several experts.

@ Auspex: sounds interesting and expensive! Maybe I have to wait a few years....

@ Xiphactinus: The human skull is very typical because it is big and because of it's curve. Also the vein patern is typical. See this link for info in better English: http://www.statemuseum.arizona.edu/crservices/human_animal_bone.shtml Anyway,I have had this ID-ed by several experts.

@ Auspex: sounds interesting and expensive! Maybe I have to wait a few years....

Thanks for the info. Very interesting. It sure is mineralized!

You have a specimen VERY few collectors will ever even get to see. If there is any chance of destruction, I'd leave it alone. If you're unsure what to do with it, ship it to me and I'll keep it very safe for you ;):P

When you said destructive dating, I thought you meant something along the lines of "man dates woman, woman becomes enraged at man, now man's skull is in pieces".

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

The Anthropologist in me says the dating is worth the risk, especially if there is opportunity to get it done without harming the specimen...

The Fossil rock hound in me says leave it alone... just in case.

It would be a tough decision for me, I'd probably side with the Anthropological perspective seeing how it has totally invaded my every spectrum of thought.

Thanks for sharing the specimen with us.