It Has Crab Parts But Is It The Whole Enchilada?

Roz

This is from the Cretaceous in Arkansas (Maestrichtian)

I can see with my loupe that the areas marked are clearly crab

material but I am wondering if that is an entire crab (the whole black part) and only parts of it

have worn their way out. Can anyone tell?

post-13-051770700 1289688017_thumb.jpg

post-13-002303200 1289688186_thumb.jpg

post-13-088420000 1289688218_thumb.jpg

This is the flip side

post-13-051343700 1289688258_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Best way to tell is to go after it with a scribe, following the appendages in.....

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

of course it's in there. where else would it be? crabs tend to follow their claws, and i bet they always have. of course i've never prepped a crabby concretion, so my expertise might be called into question by an astute observer, but still, i strongly sense a crustacean lurking in that lump.

yes, as a matter of fact i DO do tarot card readings, why?

of course it's in there. where else would it be? crabs tend to follow their claws, and i bet they always have. of course i've never prepped a crabby concretion, so my expertise might be called into question by an astute observer, but still, i strongly sense a crustacean lurking in that lump.

yes, as a matter of fact i DO do tarot card readings, why?

Well I meant that it may be as large as the whole black piece.. I have never seen one close to that size in Ar..

Most exciting to me... :Bananasaur:

I don't think anyone asked about tarot cards.... laughing%20on%20the%20floor%2024.gif

Welcome to the forum!

Best way to tell is to go after it with a scribe, following the appendages in.....

I don't have a scribe but I will think of something..

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Roz, a lot of the fossil bearing phosphatic nodules from the London Clay, (Eocene), have pyritic phosphate inside. It gets harder as you get closer to the fossil. The black in your first pic's looks just like those. If it is, you will find it extremely hard to prep by hand, even with a scribe or craft knife, try it on a bit.

Edited by Bill

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Great find Roz!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Hi Roz, a lot of the fossil bearing phosphatic nodules from the London Clay, (Eocene), have pyritic phosphate inside. It gets harder as you get closer to the fossil. The black in your first pic's looks just like those. If it is, you will find it extremely hard to prep by hand, even with a scribe or craft knife, try it on a bit.

Yes, that was the word I was trying to think of when I posted (phosphatic). Arkansas is loaded with them..

Ok, I will give it a shot.. Thanks, Bill

Welcome to the forum!

Great find! Looks very hard to prep but could also be very rewarding. Congratulations.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Great find! Looks very hard to prep but could also be very rewarding. Congratulations.

Thanks, Bob

I hope rewarding is what it ends up.. :D:P

Welcome to the forum!

Gotta' be coolnitude inside, but it looks like a real challenge.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Gotta' be coolnitude inside, but it looks like a real challenge.

Challenge is my middle name.. not really. :)

I don't mind the work but fear I may not do too well. I have more of that same matrix so

plan a bit of practice first..

Welcome to the forum!

Hey Roz-

So is the crab bits the brown stuff coming out of the black? If you want to try something new and exciting, take it down to your local freindly hospital or other place with a CT scanner and haveit CT scanned. I did that once with a Louisiana crab... and there it was in tghe rock, visible as a thin white line in each CT section. To get the hospital folks curious, bring another fossil that is more obvious. I'm not sure what you miht have that would fit that bil, but if you show them a rock and say..."I think it has a fossil crab in it", they just might classify you in with the nutjobs. Got any other fossils that are half sticking out of the rock that might be good to also bring along, that you canconvince them more easily than this crab?

Hey Roz-

So is the crab bits the brown stuff coming out of the black? If you want to try something new and exciting, take it down to your local freindly hospital or other place with a CT scanner and haveit CT scanned. I did that once with a Louisiana crab... and there it was in tghe rock, visible as a thin white line in each CT section. To get the hospital folks curious, bring another fossil that is more obvious. I'm not sure what you miht have that would fit that bil, but if you show them a rock and say..."I think it has a fossil crab in it", they just might classify you in with the nutjobs. Got any other fossils that are half sticking out of the rock that might be good to also bring along, that you canconvince them more easily than this crab?

Yes, JP, the bits showing are the brown stuff but some of the bits in one area are black..

Wow, that's a thought. What did they charge you, do you remember?

Welcome to the forum!