Ostracods From The Rochester Formation

Geodigger

Here are some of the ostracods I finally dusted off and photographed. I collected these in the mid-1980's along the Niagara Escarpment in St. Catharines and Thorold, Ontario, Canada. All from the shales of the Rochester Formation. I put them on a single "plate" for comparison. Please check the identifications as I am going by my original labels based on an old reference. The reference is:

Copeland, M.J. 1962. Ostracoda from the Rochester Formation (Middle Silurian) of Southern Ontario. Geological Survey of Canada Bulletin 91, pages 9-11, plate II.

Copeland listed nine species from the formation ... looks like I'm only missing Ctenobolbina punctata. Back then the Rochester Formation was considered Middle Silurian ... now Lower Silurian. If any of you have more recent information on these species I would like to know. Thanks in advance.

Geodigger

P.S. I will try to attach a picture of the homemade slides these are on which will give you some idea of scale (the background is divided into 1 cm squares).

post-2848-098080100 1289760124_thumb.jpg

Wonderful specimens.... Also how does one remove the shale matrix from the ostracodes... do you bake the shale to drive the moisture off then soak in organic solvent ... ie Varsol treatment? Or does the Shale surrounding the ostracodes simply turn to muck with rain water similar to Arkona Shale.... ends up as muck.

Regards,

PL

Edited by pleecan