Is This Skeleton Real?

kolleamm

looks as real as most any of the mounted skeletons i see. actually, it looks more real than a lot of them. and you can use the word "specimen" more or less any time you want.

im pretty sure its not real, because spinosaurus was never found complete(i think).

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

ok, i retract all my previous statements regarding this matter and deny having ever said them.

but i'm pretty sure the 36th tooth from the front on the left side of the lower jaw looks composited, if not restored.

ok, i retract all my previous statements regarding this matter and deny having ever said them.

but i'm pretty sure the 36th tooth from the front on the left side of the lower jaw looks composited, if not restored.

Clearly you meant the 35th.

on the spinosaurus page of wikipedia there is a spinosaurus skeleton picture that says specimen from private collection, is it real? can you use the word specimen for replicas?

I attached the picture, go here to see it for yourself , its near the bottom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinosaurus

If you scroll down to "Specimens" in the Wikipedia article, you will see that the known Spinosaurus material is very fragmentary; just bits and pieces. Clearly the pictured specimen is a reconstruction.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If you scroll down to "Specimens" in the Wikipedia article, you will see that the known Spinosaurus material is very fragmentary; just bits and pieces. Clearly the pictured specimen is a reconstruction.

well but probably a real reconstruction. it scared me, and i'm fearless.

looks as real as most any of the mounted skeletons i see. actually, it looks more real than a lot of them. and you can use the word "specimen" more or less any time you want.

As in: Tracer is a fine specimen of Texas ramblemouthus var. fossilhunteris :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Spinosaurus is only known from part of a lower jaw, a rostrum, some (i.e. half a dozen) vertebrae, and limb bones (3 or 4). That skeleton is 90% fake/sculpted. Bobby

Yeah, it looks mostly fake...... :(:(:(

it looks 100% real, except there are tiny little indicators, like the tooth...

but backround knowelege alwase helps, like knowing that theres never been a complete spinosaur found...

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

Spinosaurus is only known from part of a lower jaw, a rostrum, some (i.e. half a dozen) vertebrae, and limb bones (3 or 4). That skeleton is 90% fake/sculpted. Bobby

This is what I've heard, also. But what does everyone think of the volume of spinosaur material coming in from Morocco currently? It seems I can run across the internet and with ease find more than this available from dealers and ebay.

It can't be real, at least all real, Fossil pieces on this species are very fragmented at best. Acually an animation cell from Jurassic Park 3. lol

If they have only found those few pieces of that critter, I wonder just how accurate that reconstruction is? Do you think it would be only about 50%, 75%, or 90% accurate? It sounds like they have only found less than 1% total of the entire animal!

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Good osteologists are able to extrapolate quite a lot from fragmentary evidence, and as more is found, the "guesswork" is refined. It is probably the best representation possible with what there is to go on.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

well, this is kind of my beef with all the "interpretation" that gets done regarding what dinosaurs looked like. a lot of the time people say they're "restoring" something, but the problem is that if the something isn't there, they don't know for sure what it was, so they are fabricating something based on their own concepts, which can at times range kinda far off track. i mean, tj grew up watching endless replays of "barney" and you see how he turned out.

i guess we all have a bit of the artiste in us. some are more expressive than others.

i did a littel research and found that this specimen is "real" but fragmentary and almost certainly composited. it auctioned in paris on december 1st 2009 here is a link to the catalogue lot number 185. there is apic of what is real with some more pics. there are also alot more pics if you google "spinosaurus auction paris"

auction

Brock