Is hell Creek Property For Sale?

kolleamm

is it cheap? or even available? I want in the future to own my own private land in hell creek where I can collect fossils without any legal issues etc... is this possible?

Anything is possible if you have the Johnny Cash, my friend. Except buying up BLM lands. Almost all of the land that I have seen with hell Creek or Lance Fm on it and that is privately owned is always part of a large ranch. Ranchers who sell often do not want to sell small pieces of land. I'm talking ranches not quite on a TX scale, but ranches around here generally run from several sections (a section is a square mile) up to a whole township (=36 sq miles). A friend of mine wanted to sell his 12 section ranch a few years ago and was asking 6 million. Dinosaurs all over it. Including a hadrosaur mummy that was collected there in around the turn of the millenium. (One of my clients ofond it... another guy colletced it). Another ranch I collect on is being sold now... asking price 12 mil. Every now and then a ranch with dinosaur bones will get subdivided into 40 acre ranchettes, but this is rare, from what I have seen. And may still cost you a bunch of cash.

kolleamm, from your previous posts, I suspect you are a pretty young person. (Forgive me if I'm wrong). This is the way things are in 2010... who knows what the story will be when you get out into the world and manage to save up a cool million. Things change.

Most folks I know who want to collect dinos for fun and without legal hassles actually sign a legal contract (=hassles) with a landowner who is willing to do so. This can cost you up to 1 to 10K bucks a year.

Dinos can be an expensive habit. Then you gotta have the time to prep them, and the space to put them in. Not trying to talk anyone out of anything, just dosing you guys with a bit of reality.

I never realised how difficult it could be to follow your intrest....I would imagine the fossils 'monetry value' is the driving force behind this kind of thinking....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Anything is possible if you have the Johnny Cash, my friend. Except buying up BLM lands. Almost all of the land that I have seen with hell Creek or Lance Fm on it and that is privately owned is always part of a large ranch. Ranchers who sell often do not want to sell small pieces of land. I'm talking ranches not quite on a TX scale, but ranches around here generally run from several sections (a section is a square mile) up to a whole township (=36 sq miles). A friend of mine wanted to sell his 12 section ranch a few years ago and was asking 6 million. Dinosaurs all over it. Including a hadrosaur mummy that was collected there in around the turn of the millenium. (One of my clients ofond it... another guy colletced it). Another ranch I collect on is being sold now... asking price 12 mil. Every now and then a ranch with dinosaur bones will get subdivided into 40 acre ranchettes, but this is rare, from what I have seen. And may still cost you a bunch of cash.

kolleamm, from your previous posts, I suspect you are a pretty young person. (Forgive me if I'm wrong). This is the way things are in 2010... who knows what the story will be when you get out into the world and manage to save up a cool million. Things change.

Most folks I know who want to collect dinos for fun and without legal hassles actually sign a legal contract (=hassles) with a landowner who is willing to do so. This can cost you up to 1 to 10K bucks a year.

Dinos can be an expensive habit. Then you gotta have the time to prep them, and the space to put them in. Not trying to talk anyone out of anything, just dosing you guys with a bit of reality.

Wow, ok that really cleared things up. Looks like signing a legal contract with the land owner is a much better way to go, Thanks again