Polished Devonian Wood

RomanK

I have this specimen in my collection

post-814-048032100 1290183496_thumb.jpg

and this week I asked somebody in Technical University to split it out and polish the cut surface.

I was a bit surprized cause have got quite poor result - very dark surface with cell structure you can see only through microscope

post-814-061383500 1290183684_thumb.jpg

Some close-ups with diff. magnification

post-814-020320400 1290183783_thumb.jpgpost-814-012335500 1290183790_thumb.jpgpost-814-076330400 1290183796_thumb.jpg

This picture I would see earlier without any polishing

post-814-075813000 1290183861_thumb.jpg

Interesting pictures of Devonian wood. What sort of magnification on the last photo 40X ? Have you been able to detect evidence of other fossils in the wood matrix such as insects / worms / bore holes etc ? Assuming this is late Devonain material.

After polish would chemical surface etching bring out details?

PL

Edited by pleecan

Interesting pictures of Devonian wood. What sort of magnification on the last photo 40X ? Have you been able to detect evidence of other fossils in the wood matrix such as insects / worms / bore holes etc ? Assuming this is late Devonain material.

After polish would chemical surface etching bring out details?

PL

Hi pleecan, magnification is only 7X. Unfortunately there wasn't any other unclusion except this one

post-814-001073800 1290185506_thumb.jpgpost-814-004047000 1290185512_thumb.jpgpost-814-047035500 1290185519_thumb.jpg

Yes that is upper Devonian layer.

I didn't use any chemicals to polish esp. etching, but who knows...

Edited by RomanK

Highly vascular tissue; I wonder how "woody" it was?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Highly vascular tissue; I wonder how "woody" it was?

It's a question Auspex. I comunicated with person who found a big fragment of the tree at the same site as me including the stem (part connected to root), cone (I shown this afternoon) and some fragments of branches. He thinks my specimen is a root fragment.

Other examples of his specimens

post-814-049435600 1290188386_thumb.jpgpost-814-002264400 1290188400_thumb.jpg

RomanK.... I think its a great success.... Those cells really stand out under magnification and obviously tell you more about the type of wood it is.....Good idea to investigate....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Roman,

Cool wood and I think that if you maybe soak the wood for about ten minutes in bleach that it may lighten it up enough to see the cellular structure. I know that the Opalized wood from Wyoming tends to lighten up when treated this way.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Roman,

Cool wood and I think that if you maybe soak the wood for about ten minutes in bleach that it may lighten it up enough to see the cellular structure. I know that the Opalized wood from Wyoming tends to lighten up when treated this way.

Thanks Dave, I'll think about that way to make the cell structure more obvious.

Roman: Nice photo... Bleach etching does help.... if you have access to Metallurgical type microscope... you might want to try to capture an image.... Metallurgical microscopes are superior to regular stereo binocular microscopes with regards to optical resolution when applied at higher magnifications.

PL

Roman: Nice photo... Bleach etching does help.... if you have access to Metallurgical type microscope... you might want to try to capture an image.... Metallurgical microscopes are superior to regular stereo binocular microscopes with regards to optical resolution when applied at higher magnifications.

PL

Thanks PL, I will try to do that.

Hey, it worked! Woo-Hoo! That is some great cellular structure there Roman.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/