My Fossil Room

Xiphactinus

FASCINATING! Museum of Natural History in Belgrade (the only one in Serbia) doesn't have specimens beautiful like these!

Scott, I personally like that you found most of your "museum" specimens. :wub: Top Shelf!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Mr X-

Dang... that is one heckuva nice fossil room, starring one heckuva nice fossil collection. Inspirational to those of us just building our first display cabinet in wood class.

And they say Kansas is boring.... Hah!

BEAUTIFUL... :bow: *drool* I am gonna have a room like that someday. I dont think I could find that big of a fossil though.

couldn't think of what to say, so far, and was sitting here thinking, and of course it's impressive, and organized, and neat, and diametrically opposed to my world, which you'll never be afforded even a glimpse of, for obvious reasons, wait - i'm rambling and not saying anything...darn! i knew i'd mess this up!

i get tired thinking about being you and prepping stuff for years. you could probably hand-carve a lamborghini or something...

• 1 month later...

Believe me. It's been discussed. No answer yet, but it's a problem I'd like to have! :P

Wow! Great room! Just wondering where you got hold of one of those?!

Uh, Duh, I'm amazed by that Xiphactinus!:wub: :wub: How did you get that thing mounted and moved? Did you prep that yourself? Just amazing collection.

Uh, Duh, I'm amazed by that Xiphactinus!:wub: :wub: How did you get that thing mounted and moved? Did you prep that yourself? Just amazing collection.

Old timers are tired of the story, but we found, excavated and prepped that bad boy -- all 17 feet of him. My best find.

Old timers are tired of the story, but we found, excavated and prepped that bad boy -- all 17 feet of him. My best find.

I never get tired of THE STORY; makes me feel like Jimmy Olsen must have felt whenever Superman stopped by to say "hi"!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Awesome Room.

Wonder How I missed this post before. I would have noticed such an awesome room. I need to see it personally on my next trip to St. Louis.

crinus

Congratulations on so many fronts- your collecting skill, fossil preparation, display techniques, and organization. Everything is truly top notch and superbly professional! It was also a pleasure to meet you in the chat room, too. Best wishes and thank you very much for sharing your phenomenal collection with us!

I never get tired of looking at this Topic! If I had a room like that I would NEVER leave it! Id charge people to enter it too. Where did you get all the display cabinets?????

I never get tired of looking at this Topic! If I had a room like that I would NEVER leave it! Id charge people to enter it too. Where did you get all the display cabinets?????

They are scratch and dent from Home Decorators Collection (I used to work there). You can get 1st quality ones here:

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/11-Drawer_40W_Map_Chest/260/

snarge that's one heckuva neat collection!

Hope you get that full-sized Mosasaur soon!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 1 year later...

Fantastic collection! Owning a complete 17 foot Xiphactinus skeleton must be great. And the Pteranodon is cool as well. How long have you been collecting for?

Another question: How many atoms are in your fossil collection? ;)

Edited by Carcharodontosaurus

Woah!!!!!! How could I have missed this post!!! This is awesome!!

The forum itself is like a fossil hunt. Lots of cool stuff is buried, then eventually resurfaces to give us all a treat, such as this one!

Steve

The forum itself is like a fossil hunt. Lots of cool stuff is buried, then eventually resurfaces to give us all a treat, such as this one!

Couldn't have said it better myself. B)

Fantastic collection! Owning a complete 17 foot Xiphactinus skeleton must be great. And the Pteranodon is cool as well. How long have you been collecting for?

Another question: How many atoms are in your fossil collection? ;)

Thanks! I've been collecting since I was a little kid. (about 40 years.) My wife and I have been collecting together since we started dating - hard to believe but almost 25 years. (You know you have a winner when some of your first dates are out pounding rocks together!)

Thanks. Good timing on the resurrection of this zombie thread. We are getting closer to realizing a dream - starting a real museum!

We had members of the city council over to see our in-home museum this week. They are talking to us about utilizing an empty building the city owns. Now all we need is some $$. Well, actually a lot of $$.

Getting exciting. I'll start a new thread if/when it gets closer. The Paleo Science Center is our working title.

Thanks! I've been collecting since I was a little kid. (about 40 years.) My wife and I have been collecting together since we started dating - hard to believe but almost 25 years. (You know you have a winner when some of your first dates are out pounding rocks together!)

I'm surprised you haven't exhausted the entire Niobrara Chalk by now. :P

I, too, don't know how I've missed this thread for so long. I hate to be redundant, but WOW!

It's exciting to hear the city may be helping you get a "real" museum, as if you don't already have one.

I'm looking forward to seeing your presentation from last weekend once you get it posted. Let us know when you have it ready.

The next time I'm in Cape, I may have to take you up on your invitation to come visit your museum.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA