Modern Bothriolepis

nitelyechos

• New Members

can anyone tell me what this fish is? it was found in a chinese fish market and smoked. to me looks for all the world like a bothriolepis. it is obviously an armoured fish. it appears to have a tapered tail and only one pair of long fins. is there any way these could be the modern decendents of an armoured fish lived in some remote portion of asia?

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/3552/4124/464056

food5jpg1285646539297-data.jpg

Edited by nitelyechos

i'm not feeling the connection. but it descended from something. probably something funny looking. i'm not seeing the armor either. why would you eat something like that, anyway?

Perhaps it is some relation to This?

I do see a vague similarity to bothriolepis.

Regards,

Edited for broken link - new link inserted.

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

What ever they are they're sure weird looking things. I've spent the last few days trying to find out more about these fish on the internet with little luck. The closest thing I came across was a spotted armoured sea robbin. I have to say that the oceans are home to some really strange looking fish!

why would you eat something like that, anyway?

It's probably an acquired taste... must be tasty for inhabitants in that area..... I use to in that part of the world in my early childhood before migrating to North America.

That looks like an armored catfish. I don't recognise the species though.

Here in the New World we have several species of Plecostomus catfish that have simiar structure to the bothrios. :)

Be true to the reality you create.

I am not sure, but I think these heavily armored fish belong to the Pegasdidae or seamoths, distant relatives of seahorses and pipefish. I have a Rhamphosus from Monte Bolca in my gallery which is by some scientists considered as a member of this group.

Thomas

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Their common name is "sea moth" or Eurypegasus draconis. They are a very odd fish that scurries along the bottom, usually in pairs. I've seen them while diving in both Indonesia and the Philippines.

Here is one I took in the Philippines in October. They are not super abundant, so a bit sad to see smoked on a stick.

post-1886-038232200 1291536393_thumb.png

Sea Moths hey!

Very strange beasts, they remind me of the Grunt Sculpin (Rhampocottus richarsoni) that is found on the west coast of British Columbia.

post-2629-049853800 1291586946_thumb.jpg

Photo copyright of J. Nichols, Aquarium of the Pacific.