Elephants And Snow

32fordboy

Doing some research, I found these videos. Apparently elephants like snow. A lot. This might give us clues as to whether Columbian Mammoths were naked or not. Notice in one video, the elephants are pretty hairy. Is that a seasonal growth?

There have been skin samples from all kinds of southern Pleistocene animals (sloth and supposedly Mastodon or Gomphothere), any known specimens from Columbian Mammoths?

Mylodon fur: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mylodon_fur.jpg

Wow, the snowball that elephant is pushing is HUGE! You have good point...... but I don't know. sorry!

The leopards on the other hand don't seem to be enjoying the snow as much. A lot like some of my cats used to do when I was a kid. I don't think there is any undoubtable Columbian mammoth fur or skin known, but there is some mammoth skin/hair from a cave in Utah, which is too far south for woolies, and it apparently looks a lot like wooly skin/hair. But how much covered the whole body, or is local like on the elephants in the video...? Who knows at this point.

i have done extensive research on this subject. :unsure:

by extensive research, i mean that i have actually on a previous occasion of recentnocitude actually driven to a library, found a book exclusively about mammoths, and meticulously went through it for perhaps at least a half hour, with rapt attention never diverted by the loud kids who when i was little would have been stifled like little ediths but the world has changed, which is my point.

based on extensive research (note: "extensive research", when used in the context of one of my posts, almost always can be inferred to mean looking at a wikipedia article), most of the area i think of as habitable in the style to which i've become accustomed, was basically "taiga" during the wisconsonian (cheese and ice age is all ya'll are famous for - nyah!). in doing extensive research on taiga, i find that it tends to exist now in places that get semi-freaking cold. but also, lots of places, in which said nose hosers were wont to roam (unless they were drop-shipped there by ups, which is extremely sketchy logic, if you choose to employ it), was not taiga. and then of course you have the hairy poopy cave in utah which has been already mentioned. OH! and last but not least, i have ridden elephants on more than one occasion, once with shorts on, and elephant hair, although sparse, lacks nothing in courseliciousness.

in conclusion, i think the northern columbian mammoths, and by "northern" i mean anywhere in north america, which during the wisconsonian epoch <please let it be an epoch> was simply referred to as "texas and surrounding areas", had big gorgeous albeit prickly manes of fur, to the point where other animals would see them coming and say "hey! look out, here comes that giant gray lion with the dental issues and two tails again!"

the columbian mammoths in south america, on the other hand, had no manes at all, and resembled nothing more than giant grey chupacabras. in short (pun intended), there is no reason to surmise that aminals from different climes must be equally hirsute to co-inhabit the same artificial, humanly-constructed category of specificiparticularisillusoriness. i mean look at all the bazillion species of sharks that have been stood up since they sank to the bottom of prehistoric seas and hoped for please and quite. and none of them had hair, as far as i and wikipedia know...

but i heard them exclaim as they sank out of site, "global warming is real! hairy mammoths, good nite!"