Nasa Press Conference Today

32fordboy

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but 2pm est time on the NASA channel, there will be a press conference. They are trying to keep the subject a secret, but sources around the net say they found a bacterium here on earth that has a different chemical makeup of all the other known lifeforms (includes Arsenic), implying life has started here more than once.

The press conference will be on their website, too. Of course, the content above is still speculation at this point.

Edited by 32fordboy

This is really exciting!

A new type of life discovered here on Earth. I'm going to be glued to the T.V.

IF the press conference is really about the above, the implications are HUGE. Personally, it tells me that because life doesn't stick to any specific chemical combination, it might be relatively common in the universe. Finding it will still be the trick.

On a similar note, there is some speculation they found a fossil on Mars. With no good evidence (NASA supposedly destroyed the specimen with a rover) aside from a photo, it's just speculation. You can Google Mars Crinoid for a photo.

Edited by 32fordboy

I viewed a program by Canadian Geographic Presents called Mars on Earth, last night, about Mars related research Nasa is conducting on Devon Island in Canada's Arctic. The thing that struck me most was that the lead scientist claimed it would be more surprising if signs of life were not found on Mars than if it were.

What I'm hearing is that in this life form they found that arsenic replaces phosphorus in the DNA!!!

Life never ceases to surprise me!!!!!

What I'm hearing is that in this life form they found that arsenic replaces phosphorus in the DNA!!!

That would be an ugly fly in the ointment for the ID folks - two designers - two designs. HUH? :wacko:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Turns out I can't watch the news conference because we don't have access to NASA TV. I tried their website but couldn't get the live stream to function so I'm SOL!

I did find an RSS feed about the new organism though and the research is very interesting. Seems the new beast utilizes arsenic, within its DNA, ATP and ADH, in place of phosphorous.

Can't wait till they discover silicone based life forms. OK so that's a bad Star Trek reference!

Very interesting times ahead!!

Edit: OK I got the feed to work and caught the last half of the news conference. I see the Star Trek reference was used during the conference. I guess great minds think alike!

Edited by palaeopix

Turns out it's not necessarily life starting for the second time, but more likely a lifeform related to every other life form that "accidentally swapped" arsenic for phosphorus and was able to make it work. Not as interesting, but at least it tells scientists they can look for life in other areas.

Edited by 32fordboy

Turns out it's not necessarily life starting for the second time, but more likely a lifeform related to every other life form that "accidentally swapped" arsenic for phosphorus and was able to make it work. Not as interesting, but at least it tells scientists they can look for life in other areas.

I think the ramifications are as interesting if not more so because perhaps this phenomenon of swapping arsenic for phosphorous might explain how life originally began. Perhaps an arsenic based biochemistry was developed first followed by one based on phosphorous. Either way this is exciting stuff and I can't wait to see what new information about life as we know comes from the research.

this is an amazing discovery.. it just goes to show how little we know about our planet, and its life!

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

You can Google Mars Crinoid for a photo.

That is totally discredited, and falls now in the realm of a conspiracy theory. :rolleyes:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ah, shows how much I looked into it :rolleyes:

Was it a true but misleading geological sample, or a faked photo? Of course, true crinoids can't live anywhere but earth, but convergent evolution is a possibility when looking for life.

Edited by 32fordboy

They've discoverd Tracer's home planet! :P

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Guest N.AL.hunter

I have known for years that lifeforms here on Earth can switch important substances wihtin their systems and survive.... my wife has freon in her instead of blood which produces extremely cold feet and upper thighs.

That was just wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing on the floor 24:

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!