Uncommon Shell

Foshunter

Found this in the N. Sulphur river at a limestone out cropping along with several large un-known ammonites. The gastropod is a Volutomorph sp. that is 8 inches in lenght. The age is Upper Cretaceous, Campanian, Taylor Group, Lamar County, Texas. Pictured also is my son with one of the large un-known ammonites recovered on that hunt.--Tom

post-3940-052882700 1291311118_thumb.jpg

post-3940-079490200 1291311219_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Eight inches?! That is soooo cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Tom,

The gastropod is great. Do you have a picture of the mouth.

best regards,

Han

Most Texas shell fossils found in limestone are casts of the original shell so any important mouth parts are long gone will enclose a photo of the mouth opening.--Tom

post-3940-014390600 1291321350_thumb.jpg

"Don't Tread On Me"

Foshunter.... Great finds.... You dropped on there with the ammonite... Very Nice !

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Guest N.AL.hunter

Can't believe what comes out of that river!! For us non-Texans, how long of a stretch of river is open to fossil hunting? For example, here in Alabama, the Point-A Dam site for collecting Eocene fossils on the Conecuh River is only about two hundred yards long.

Can't believe what comes out of that river!! For us non-Texans, how long of a stretch of river is open to fossil hunting? For example, here in Alabama, the Point-A Dam site for collecting Eocene fossils on the Conecuh River is only about two hundred yards long.

The good collecting extend through two counties. The river was channeled in the 30's so it would control farmland flooding and empties quickly and holds water in the lowest places, the rest is either Cretaceous shale bottom, gravel beds and ocasionally limestone bottom. When it comes a good rain and the water level goes back to normal it is a race to the river to see what treasures have turned up, not only fossils but arrowheads as well.--Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Wonderful finds. Were these fossils exposed, or did you find them while digging?

Clemsonskulls

They were in slightly exposed, the ammonite only a small portion was showing, the rest had to be chiseled out. This area has produced 4 more ammonites that size or larger, lots of clams, and a Mosasaur jaw, verts and ribs, arrowheads and countless shark teeth. This was one of my favorite spots to hunt, wish I could move it to Florida.--Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

They were in slightly exposed, the ammonite only a small portion was showing, the rest had to be chiseled out. This area has produced 4 more ammonites that size or larger, lots of clams, and a Mosasaur jaw, verts and ribs, arrowheads and countless shark teeth. This was one of my favorite spots to hunt, wish I could move it to Florida.--Tom

That's a great collecting site and nice finds ! :)

It looks like the erosion rate is pretty slow across the limestone layer so I would imagine it will be many years before it proves quite as fruitful again?....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)