Large Blastoids

Archimedes

I cant belive how cool that multi plate is!!! Has anyone ever found a blastoid with the stem/stalk and the little arm thingy's?

RB

Thanks paleo 3303 for the compliment on my prep work. Thought you and the forum may want to see a piece from WV that is quite nice. It really took a while to prep. Like paleo3303 said, the blastoids are encrusted with a lot of bryozoa and very difficult to clean. I have put in a specimen from Millstadt on the slab for reference as paleo did in a previous post. It was a good idea and I stole it. The slab is about 18 inches across.

Also is a picture of an individual specimen from the same site. It is probably the best one I have seen come out of there. I don't have a size reference in the photo but the blastoid is 2.25 inches tall and 1.75 across.

I cant belive how cool that multi plate is!!! Has anyone ever found a blastoid with the stem/stalk and the little arm thingy's?

RB

RB

I have never heard of anyone finding a complete blastoid (calyx, stem and pinnules) from this site. These blastoids do come covered with pinnules that are loose and lying all over the blastoid. You have to blast them away if you are going to reveal the blastoid itself.

Crinus

awesome blastoids everyone!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Thanks paleo 3303 for the compliment on my prep work. Thought you and the forum may want to see a piece from WV that is quite nice. It really took a while to prep. Like paleo3303 said, the blastoids are encrusted with a lot of bryozoa and very difficult to clean. I have put in a specimen from Millstadt on the slab for reference as paleo did in a previous post. It was a good idea and I stole it. The slab is about 18 inches across.

Also is a picture of an individual specimen from the same site. It is probably the best one I have seen come out of there. I don't have a size reference in the photo but the blastoid is 2.25 inches tall and 1.75 across.

I would love to come out there again and collect with you. Maybe this fall. That area would be too hot in the summer.

crinuspost-391-1212807975_thumb.jpgpost-391-1212808143_thumb.jpg

Fall collecting sounds good to me. Mark your calendar. You are always welcome.

• 1 year later...

RB

There is one with the brachioles :)

post-1774-1250052040_thumb.jpg

I like crinoids......