A Small Part Of My Collection

Caleb

After buying a house, I decided it was time to get a display set up. After all, what good is a fossil collection if nobody sees it? After looking around a lot on Craigslist and second hand stores for some sort of antique chest of drawers, I found this old watchmakers desk at a large annual flea market/swap meet. It has 12 drawers 2inches deep, which is perfect for most of my specimens. The top needs to be replaced, but that should be easy enough to do in the future. Anyway, to the important part; the fossils. I have been slowly bringing my collection from my parents basement to my house. I haven't moved much, but decided to start this post and add pictures as I fill drawers.

Picture one(left to right, back to front): multiple Pleurocystites squamosis slab from Brechin ON, Maclurites and Hormatoma gastropod slab from Southeast Minnesota, hash plate from Southwest Wisconsin, Glyptocrinus from Southwest Wisconsin, and an Anataphrus vigilans from Northest Iowa.

post-3840-018900500 1291908772_thumb.jpg

Picture 2(left to right, back to front): Ceraurinella scofieldi from Southwest Wisconsin, Dolichoharpes reticulata from Southwest Wisconsin, Gabriceraurus mifflinensis from Southwest Wisconsin, Isotelus simplex Southwest Wisconsin, another Ceraurinella scofieldi and Isotelus simplex, a double Gabriceraurus mifflinensis from Southwest Wisconsin, hyaenodont mandible from the Chadron Formation of South Dakota, and a Maclurites gastropod from Southeast Minnesota.

post-3840-002928200 1291908676_thumb.jpg

...decided to start this post and add pictures as I fill drawers...

This is going to be great! :eat popcorn:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey Caleb,

very nice!

Can't wait to see the rest of your collection set up in its new (old) storage chest. Looks like the top only needs a new coat of paint?

Dan

Hey Caleb,

very nice!

Can't wait to see the rest of your collection set up in its new (old) storage chest. Looks like the top only needs a new coat of paint?

Dan

Thanks! The top is in pretty rough shape, so I'm thinking of replacing it with something more like it had originally and refinishing the whole thing. But that will be a while before I try to tackle that project.

Caleb.... Its looking good.... Great fossils and nice cabinet... :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Love your trilobites Caleb! The cheirurids are awesome - almost makes the Canadian bugs seem common.

You're very fortunate to collect those faunas. Thanks and Congratulations! ;)

Edited by piranha

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Very nice.. I'll keep an eye on this thread as you update it. I've also been looking for a good storage solution.

I also like the poster...and the bottles :P

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

• 5 months later...

Time for the first update since my original post 6 months ago. I have filled my first drawer and most of the table top! I'm thinking I may need another table :wacko: I have added a few more Devonian fossils, such as the Moroccan bugs, and a Proetid, Eldredgeops norwoodensis, fish tooth, and Blastoid from Johnson County, IA. I've also become the "proud" owner of a fake Drotops from Morocco (at least the price wasn't bad). I now take more care looking at Moroccan bugs. I have added most of these fossils to my gallery page if you would like to see closeups. Next update will be another drawer full of stuff... It may be a while.

post-3840-0-68381100-1305061025_thumb.jpgpost-3840-0-02220800-1305061043_thumb.jpg

Ahh yes it is quite nice to finally bring some finds into view....divorce opened up my display options ten fold...MUA HA HA!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 3 months later...

Hello Caleb,

You have a very nice collection and for this to be only a small part of a bigger collection. Impressive. I have to say, I love the posters in the background just as much. Thanks for sharing.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Hello Caleb,

You have a very nice collection and for this to be only a small part of a bigger collection. Impressive. I have to say, I love the posters in the background just as much. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, it's coming along slowly. Like most field collections, much of my stuff is not very displayable... Parts mostly. Also I don't have the room to display everything I would like yet, so most of my collection is either in boxes or still in my father's basement.

Yes but it cut it by half.:o

Ahh yes it is quite nice to finally bring some finds into view....divorce opened up my display options ten fold...MUA HA HA!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

• 4 months later...

Most recent revision... After getting a display case as a gift, I figured it needed filling. I moved the Trilobite posters to another wall so I could hang the new poster... A bedrock map of Iowa. Another great thing... not only does my girlfriend not mind fossils, she actually collects with me and helped me set up my display!

Overview

post-3840-0-01603900-1328144226_thumb.jpg

Top Shelf of Display Case, Left to Right:

Thaleops ovata x2, Coltraneia oufatensis, Flexicalymene sp., Gerastos sp., Paralejurus hamlagdadicus, Thysanopeltis speciosa, Gerastos sp. and Acaste sp., and Gabriceraurus mifflinensis x4

post-3840-0-10634000-1328144230_thumb.jpg

Bottom Shelf of Display Case

Pleurocystites squamosus multiple slab, Glyptocrinus sp., Antaphrus borraeus, and a Pleurocystites strimplei

post-3840-0-88637900-1328144236_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caleb
  • Enjoyed 1

Caleb

Just now seeing your collection. Wow way cool bugs you've got there guy. Since I've collected at Brechin a number of times, I especially like your multi Pleurocystites squamosus multiple slab, Glyptocrinus sp., Antaphrus borraeus, and a Pleurocystites trimplei slab. That piece is a killer. Hope you wait till you have a good air abrasive system to touch/prep that one (and wait till you get good at it---just my advice).

Crabfossilsteve

Caleb

Just now seeing your collection. Wow way cool bugs you've got there guy. Since I've collected at Brechin a number of times, I especially like your multi Pleurocystites squamosus multiple slab, Glyptocrinus sp., Antaphrus borraeus, and a Pleurocystites trimplei slab. That piece is a killer. Hope you wait till you have a good air abrasive system to touch/prep that one (and wait till you get good at it---just my advice).

Crabfossilsteve

Thanks! When I decide to get that slab of Pleurocystites squamosus prepped I will not be the one doing it :) .

Amazing trilobites!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

What else can I say?... everyone's already said it... Nice Collection, Caleb. I don't know enough about trilobites, so I have to ask... which one is the ebay fake?